AURORA BOREALIS or ..Perseids Meteor Shower?

minkydog

I was out my back garden at about 00:15 this morning and along with my wife seen a bright orange flame, with a faint sound, travelling across the sky from what I think was west to east. It lasted about 90 seconds and burnt out pretty quickly but continued on in a faint glow for while. Did anyone else see the same or can describe what we seen?

Possibly a sighting of Aurora Borealis? The experts have been saying that it may be possible to see it over Ireland over the past few days.

Think it might be a meteor shower..

Taken from a UK website..

August 12, 13 - Perseids Meteor Shower. The Perseids is one of the best meteor showers to observe, producing up to 60 meteors per hour at their peak. This year's shower should peak on the night of August 12 and the morning of the 13th, but you may be able to see some meteors any time from July 23 - August 22. The radiant point for this shower will be in the constellation Perseus. The thin, crescent moon will be out of the way early, setting the stage for a potentially spectacular show. For best viewing, look to the northeast after midnight.
[broken link removed]

Back