audi a4 saloon 2000 8k

ubend

dont know much about cars, keep advice simple pls - have read other posts but they mainly in relation to a different audi model

audi / avensius
audi 2000 1.6 a4 saloon petrol 82000 miles,
on offer for 8.5 thousand, just passed nct new tyres
is this a good deal i dont know much about cars
what milage does timing belt need to be changed on this car?
being sold by somebody who is getting company car want quick sale
----
toyota avensuis 1.6 98 for 3000 ? good value ?

which would u recommend in terms
availablity of second hand parts ?? price of new parts??
fuel consumption ??
resale value in two yrs (this moreso question in terms of audi how much would that devalue each year ???)

If it was me i'd want a fairly detailed service history for the Audi with receipts, not just the book stamped.

Audi parts expensive in main dealers but not too bad in motor factors, find a good independent garage for servicing. Toyota parts probably a bit cheaper.

1.6 A4 will do 35-40 mpg, avensis may be slightly better

Timing belt Audi should be changed around 50K mark and again then at 100K

Audi price is not too bad if it has full NCT, check remote locking and electric windows, mirrors all work. Also ask if any work was done on suspension. Front trailing arms are weak points on these cars.

Hard to know what it would be worth in two years time, if you kept mileage under the 100k mark perhaps 5000.

I have driven both and would consider the Audi a better drive
Hope this some help

ubend said:
dont know much about cars, keep advice simple pls - have read other posts but they mainly in relation to a different audi model

audi / avensius
audi 2000 1.6 a4 saloon petrol 82000 miles,
on offer for 8.5 thousand, just passed nct new tyres
is this a good deal i dont know much about cars
what milage does timing belt need to be changed on this car?
being sold by somebody who is getting company car want quick sale
----
toyota avensuis 1.6 98 for 3000 ? good value ?

which would u recommend in terms
availablity of second hand parts ?? price of new parts??
fuel consumption ??
resale value in two yrs (this moreso question in terms of audi how much would that devalue each year ???)

Re the Audi A4, the price depends on the mileage and the engine size, condition, number of owners etc. etc. Company cars will be well serviced, but it is also possible that the it has high mileage. There is also the possibility that the owner did not treat it in the same manner as if it was his /her own car bought with own money.

If you look on CBG.ie you can find out the average cost for the year. A 1.6 with average mileage seems to go for about 12K, and a high mileage for lower - 8K. Check out .

very good advice, is the suspension issue a bit worry ????? was this a manufacturer defect ??? or just a design flaw that cant be entirely rectified ?

colleague of a relation of mine he has it 3 yr now its his own car , he is getting a company car so that maybe why price is ok

35 mile + to gallon is good for that car thought it would be lower

anyone know what price for timing belt change for audi a4 it currently either 82 or 84 k dont remember which

Have a look over on Boards.ie motors section, there was a discussion there recently about suspension on A4's, think you might be ok with a 2000 model but early A4's had problems with parts wearing on wishbone setup.

Timing belt change could be costly enough, depends on labour charge in garage. Front of the car has to be dismantled to get at belt. If you ring a few places they will give you a quote. I know a place in Kells and another in Cavan that I've used before that are reasonable for Volkswagen/Audi work.

It's true that 1.6 is not the fastest motor ever, it has 100 bhp and A4 is a big car, depends on what you want from a car. My dad pottered around in one a few years ago and he thought it was ok. If performance is important better to look at 1.8 or TDI engines.

For a timing belt to be done in a main dealer will cost around 400-500. Best bet is to go with independent garage or a nixer from a mechanic that works for one of the main dealers.

Steer well clear of the A4. I had one for 2 years, and the multilink suspension is a disaster and really expensive to fix. I spent 1000 euro getting 2 new links installed, and then 9 months later the same problem was about to happen again. A car with that sort of milage is going to have suspension problems sooner rather than later. If you dont want to get burnt, go for the toyota. Not a very exciting car, but more reliable.

Back