Audi A4 or BMW 316?

M

mcm511

Any feedback/advice will be highly appreciated.
We are limited to choose 1.6 engine only due to insurance cost.Btw, we will be looking for 2nd hand only as well - at least year 2001.

Thanks.

a4 or 316

Not sure if it will make a difference to you, but the BMW 316i actually has a 1.8 litre engine. It is just tuned differently to give less power than the 318i.
The Audi on the other hand is an actual 1.6

The audi gets rated higher for interior build quality while the BMW usually gets praised for driving ability

I think that the Audi will be a dearer car to purchase, but I think that BMW's come better kitted out.
But I would also purchase the A4

I have a brother of a mate who is selling his A4, 2001, I can find out details for you if you wish

The A4 is a heavy car and the 1.6 doesn't do it justice.

The same might be said of the BMW.

Re: ..

As Soy said, the 316i is a 1.8 engine. I have had a 2001 316i and found it brilliant to drive but then I would be biased.

The 316i is generally considered a womans car btw. Nothing wrong with that of course...unless the original poster is male. It's a bit like driving the Peugout 306 coupe or the Renault Megane coupe. Hairdressers cars ;)

Another reason perhaps to opt for the more manly Audi :p

316i is a womans car ? I think not 316i with a M Tech kit, lowered suspension ahhhh yeah, guaranteed to get the ladies warming up to you.

But on a more serious note , i bought a BMW 318iSE 2001 from the UK, I paid the VRT and i was still 5K cheaper than irish prices plus the SE stand for special edition which means air con, sun roof, leather , etc etc etc etc etc

PS Audi have very bad depreciation figures therefore in the long term you will lose more, Mercs' and BMW are unbeatable for holding value.

Plus AUDI parts are veeeeery dear and they also drive like a sofa on wheels, just in case the driving experience was important.

Don't agree with you on the BMW 316 90210 but we'll agree to differ. I still think it's a chicks car.

Ladies cars:
Peugout 306 coupe
Hyundai Coupe
Ford Puma
BMW 316i
Renault Megane coupe
Mazda 323F
Mini Cooper

Anyone else want to add to it? :p

But I have to strongly disagree with you on the depreciation and handling of Audi.

Check out Carzone to see what you'll have to pay for a '00 A3 or an A4. They hold their value as god as if not better than Golfs.

Also check out honestjohn.co.uk for car-by-car breakdown's on the A3 and A4. Sofa's on wheels is not a fair assessment of the Audi driving experience at all at all...and I've driven both but never owned either.

Agree with you that they're very expensive to get fixed etc...so are Beamers mind you.

Gabriel,

you sure you are not thinking of the 316 compact, if so then I totally agree with you, womans car. the saloon model though I would not consider a chicks motor

Ah I think you're right cushtie...that's what I'm thinking of, the compact.

BMW is a better drive, but the basic specification is far lower than an Audi. You can do a comparison of the current models on carzone.ie, but not sure how relevant it would be if your buying secondhand as both have released new models recently.

A 1.6 engine will be thirsty and underpowered given the body mass it has to carry. Any chance of the taking the diesel? - both have great diesel engines.

Think I'll add an MGF/TF to the above list (girlie car). The girlfriend just bought a 96 model. Not for me, but a 1.8 in a car that size, should be fun to get a spin in it on the M1!

Have to agree with the 1.6 in an A4-would imagine that it would lack a bit of zip. Key for me is not how fast, but how fast you can pick up enough speed on take-off or overtaking.
Am thinking of getting a 1.6 Golf /A3 next year for this reason (biggish engine, smallish car).

Back