Au Pairs

R

Redbhoy

Hi,
Would anyone have any info regarding au pairs. Has anyone used one before? Any tales of the experience/ Pros and cons? Are there agencies which i could contact? Are they expensive?
I was thinking of looking into one to mind the childer whilst i worked. Is there a max hours per work that they do as ive other activities apart from work during the week.
Just looking for general info really!

Cheers

Employment Law

Contact the dept of enterprise and employment seeing as you are to be an employer .

Au Pairs can be great or a nightmare but a lot of the problems are caused by unreasonable or downright scummy Irish employers .

Some au pairs are actually nannies not au pairs, au pairs usually come to learn english as well as work but mainly to learn english .

If you are reputable you could consider a reputable nanny/au pair agency who will examine your bona fides as a client and advise you further .

have a look on rollercoaster.ie for info. We had a couple of them in the past, one very good, one not so good.
Get out the phone book and call the agencies. They will give you the terms and conditions. In my experience the max hours a week are 20, with a good bit of time off. Remember that for the most part these are well meaning kids who want to travel and learn English.
Good luck whatever you decide

I was intending to look for someone to look after the childer while i was at work. Mon-friday 9-5. Is this possible. I found a site that reckons the cost would be about €160 per week for 48 hours. Must check to see if i read it properly!

Au pair

Hi Redbhoy

I worked as an au pair in Spain during my college days.

9-5 is a long day ... not really au pair hours ... usually they only work 5 hours a day. I think you are looking for a mothers help.

Some tips. Be absolutely honest about the hours you require the au pair to work. If you want the au pair to babysit in the evening, pay her/him extra for this. Make sure that she will have some contact with other au pairs, or students through a language school or other course. Don't expect a lot of housework ... au pairs are not slaves. They will probably only deal with children's laundry and meals.

In my own experience, scandanavians and germans are the most committed.

Hope this helps ...

HP

Re: Au pair

Cheers!
I wouldn't expect a slave! I can do housework etc myself and wouldn't expect anybody to do anything that i could do myself.
All Im looking for is basically a minder from 9-5! If i go ahead i'd hope I'd be a great employer not a slave driver!
With regards to the language school- are these run at night? Any idea where in Dublin they are?

Re: Au pair

Hi Redbhoy

I presume there are language schools that run classes in the evenings ... try the golden pages ... many of these schools also arrange au pairs too.

Good luck.

Back