Attic insulation options

buyingabroad

Hi all,

I was getting quotes for attic insulation and most were offering to provide 300mm of rockwool for the attic - which is the solution I was half expecting.

However, one contractor suggested using polystyrene slabs up between the rafters at roof level. Does anyone know if the attic should be still ventilated if this system is used?

The alternative option offered by said contractor was to put the slabs between the ceiling joists. I would welcome your views on this approach.

Many thanks.

B.

Could your contractor not answer the ventilation question? Strange.

Why put slabs between ceiling joists when rockwool or other roll-out insulation (e.g. sheeps wool) are far easier to install?

As a non expert, why would the contractor want to insulate the roof rafters? It's not the loft your trying to keep warm. When insulting the ceiling joists, the 1st 150mm should go with the joist then the next 150mm should go across the the joist, thus a blanket effect.
Ventilation is extremely important and slight gaps should be left in the appropriate areas. Remember to ensure that all piping is insulated.

I'd be interested to hear the quote from the guy who suggested in heating the roof rafters.

Back