Attic Ceiling Insulation Problem

Lex Foutish

Our attic was converted years ago. The ceiling is plasterboard. There's a 4 inch gap between this and tiled roof. The builder only put one inch insulation (white foam sheet) in and the room gets quite cold in winter with heat escaping quickly. The only way (I presume) to put in a thicker sheet would be to take down the plasterboard ceiling and put it in before replacing the plasterboard etc. I don't really want to do this because of expense and mess. Would going into the crawl space, pulling out the current insulation sheets and having ecobead insulation (balls of insulation mixed with a thin glue) pumped in as you would with a cavity wall be a viable option? Would the rafters still be able to breathe? If they couldn't breathe, what future problems might I have?

Our attic was converted years ago. The ceiling is plasterboard. There's a 4 inch gap between this and tiled roof. The builder only put one inch insulation (white foam sheet) in and the room gets quite cold in winter with heat escaping quickly. The only way (I presume) to put in a thicker sheet would be to take down the plasterboard ceiling and put it in before replacing the plasterboard etc. I don't really want to do this because of expense and mess. Would going into the crawl space, pulling out the current insulation sheets and having ecobead insulation (balls of insulation mixed with a thin glue) pumped in as you would with a cavity wall be a viable option? Would the rafters still be able to breathe? If they couldn't breathe, what future problems might I have?

Hi, the only real viable option is to start over (my opinion)
do the job properly with maximum insulation , then re-slab, good for your energy bills & the planet

Thanks Johnjoda. I'll end up doing that if I have to but I'm interested to hear a few opinions on the ecobead (or similar) type of insulation also.
Lex.

If that eco bead is made from polystyrene there is a chemical reaction between it & pvc cables leading to the insulation on hte cables breaking down. It could lead to a fire

Thanks Bertie. There aren't any cables in there but it's good to know. Do you have any info on whether it would be a suitable way of insulating and if the rafters could breathe?
Lex.

Last edited:
Thanks Bertie. There aren't any cables in there but it's good to know. Do you have any info on whether it would be a suitable way of insulating and if the rafters could breathe?
Lex.

I have a similar problem in a dormer bungalow. what about the suggestion of doing it from the outside? remove the slates, felt and lats and fit the insulation? would be a hell of a lot less messier but getting a dry spell to do the job could be problematic!

I have a similar problem in a dormer bungalow. what about the suggestion of doing it from the outside? remove the slates, felt and lats and fit the insulation? would be a hell of a lot less messier but getting a dry spell to do the job could be problematic!
Thanks Killybram. I thought about that but I don't think it's a runner as it's a two storey house and I'd have to get scaffolding etc. Not to mention the weather, as you said!

Do any of you think there will be grants made available to do this sort of work to houses? It would be sickening to find out that grants may become available after doing a job!

Back