Athy

Martina

A friend of mine is thinking about buying in Athy. To be honest they just can't afford anything here in Dublin. And I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on Athy. What is Athy like in general and have you any comments especially on the commute to Dublin as both her and her husband would probably have to do it every day. Will their life be worth living if the have commute every day?? :)

Not mad about Athy myself.

Think also that it is just that bit too far to commute from - another 30 minutes from where I am & my commute kills me! (although I did hear an ad for houses there saying that they were a 35 minute drive from Dublin!! In a F1 car on a sun morning to Newlands Cross mayb!!) Would defo not have a life if they commuted from there.

Unless they would think about moving jobs also? But then you take a paycut to move away from Dublin........

Commute to Dublin See Here
Remember you can purchase the tickets and offset against your income prior to tax being deducted (potential saving of up 48%) if your employers allows it.

Personally I wouldn't. And I live there:) I can't tell you the amount of people I've met over the last while who've moved down from Dublin thinking 'ah sure its only down the road'. And then finding that the commute is slowly dragging the life and soul out of them/their marriages/their life etc etc. It is only down the road, but tell yourself that at 6am every morning when your dragging yourself out of bed to get to work for 9am in Dublin. (leave it any later and you'll be late) And then not getting home at night till 8.
Having said all of that I would certainly recommend it if your jobs were closer, say Naas,newbridge, Kildare? I drive from Athy to Naas everyday and I can tell you every morning I see the same thing. Everthing is fine until you pass the 1st exit for Naas. Then the traffic just stops!! And its like that for the pretty much the rest of the way. I can't tell you the pleasure I get indicating out of that!!! My roomate works in Kill which is only a few miles up from Naas, but she has to leave the house 20 mins before me every morning to get there for 9am.

Bit late with the reply but however...i moved to Athy last October and i love it...yes the commute is a pain in the backside but like everything and everywhere it will have to eventually improve. When my parents moved to Celbridge some 20 odd years ago there were hardly any buses,never mind a train service...now look at it,there are a huge selection of buses and the train is a regular and fast mode of transport. In saying that i have spend between 40 mins and an hour trying to get into dublin from Celbridge on the bus...from Athy the journey is the same depending on what time train you get and at least your moving and not stuck in traffic.We took advantage of the lower house prices by moving further out.Carlow is practically on your doorstep and the town is as good as any.Yes it may still be a bit behind on certain things but the commuter belt is ever expanding and it wont be long until it hits Athy. As for Jobs,try out the commute to Dublin,i do it daily and yes its tiring but what isent. I start work at 8 finish at 4,get the 4.25 train and home in the house by 5.50.My partner finishes work at 5.30 gets the 6.25 train and is home by 7.30!Give or take its the same no matter where you live as traffic is always gonna get you!

Back