Athgarvan Co.Kildare

T

trevor

I am thinking about buying a house in Athgarvan in the Whitethorn Development. has anyone bought or heard anything about these houses?

Also what is the area in Athgarvan like to live in.
Would really appreviate feedback.

Athgarvan is about two miles from Newbridge, its very nice, not a lot in it except some very nice houses. There is a good pub called the Athgarvan Inn and a supermarket and if you drive its very convenient for Newbridge. It's very residential, some lovely Estates - Milford, Athgarvan Heights, cant say i know the one you are talking about.

I know it has been a while since the last post on this thread but myself and my wife are considering buying a house in the Whitethorn development in Athgarvan. Did you go ahead with your purchase Trevor? If so what type house did you go for? We are interested in the 4 ned semi's and I wondered what the sound proofing is like between the houses? Also it would be great to hear peoples thoughts on this development and area in general? Thanks!!!

Why would you go that far out to end up with a semi d. If you want to go country then you could buy a single home without being part of a town style estate in the sticks!

Well actually Athgarvan it is not that far from Dublin (30-40 mins to Heuston station) and so not much more of a commute for me for work. We like the area as it is right on the doorstep of Newbridge -3km, Kilcullen -3km, Naas - 10ish km, and Kildare with the curragh. Its has so many amenities close by with easy access to Dublin yet has maintained a nice village feel suitable for families. I'm curious as to what your idea of the "sticks" is? For me being in the "sticks" means isolation from others with little to nothing around you.

The Whitethorn development is not your average town estate (no disrespect to anyone) as it is a small development. When we went to view one of the houses we were very impressed with the quality of the build and the whole development in general is extremely well done.

I hear what you are saying about buying a detached style house for the same price and honestly that is what we have been looking for but we're thinking that being around others would be better for our daughter socially. These are extremely well made 4 bed houses. For me buying one of these over a cramped 3 bed semi in a large estate in Dublin, which would probably overlooked is a no brainer in terms of quality of life.

we bought in newbridge in a lovely estate on the arthgarvan road in 2013 and to be honest we could not be happier.we live in a large home in a fantastic area with everything in it.plus to have the curragh beside us is just amazing plus so close to Dublin 40 to 45 min drive..would not want to live anywhere else

we bought in newbridge in a lovely estate on the arthgarvan road in 2013 and to be honest we could not be happier.we live in a large home in a fantastic area with everything in it.plus to have the curragh beside us is just amazing plus so close to Dublin 40 to 45 min drive..would not want to live anywhere else

thanks for the reply eamo15. We are originally from bunratty in Clare so living on the outskirts of a main city (Limerick) is normal to us, while having the beauty and freedom of the countryside is also important. Myself and my wife lived abroad from many years and since our return we have been renting in Malahide, which is lovely but we have realised over the course of 3 yrs that we would never be able to afford to buy up there (nor would we get value for money). We've have really thought a lot about where we would want to live since returning to this country and that part of kildare seems to tick a lot of boxes in terms of amenities and quality of life so we are taking a leap of faith.

thanks for the reply eamo15. We are originally from bunratty in Clare so living on the outskirts of a main city (Limerick) is normal to us, while having the beauty and freedom of the countryside is also important. Myself and my wife lived abroad from many years and since our return we have been renting in Malahide, which is lovely but we have realised over the course of 3 yrs that we would never be able to afford to buy up there (nor would we get value for money). We've have really thought a lot about where we would want to live since returning to this country and that part of kildare seems to tick a lot of boxes in terms of amenities and quality of life so we are taking a leap of faith.

You have obviously thought long and hard about this. Follow your dream and find the perfect house in the area you have chosen. One could shout the negatives aspects about your decision all day long, however for you the positives far outweigh the negatives so go for it and best of luck to you.

The four beds are currently going for 310,000. they are an impressive build and the area is lovely. As I said it has everything around it while being in a beautiful and peaceful part of Kildare. I understand it may not be to everyones taste but we seem to like it. Would be interested in hearing from anyone who has moved into the development to hear their thoughts on the quality of the
What price range as these house types
If u work in city you will have the impossible commute to city on m7

We wouldn't even attempt the drive. The stress alone would kill me. Actually its a 5-10 min drive to Newbridge train station with morning traffic, then get the Arrow to Heuston and hop on the luas to IFSC. All going well its an hr commute. Also the Phoenix park tunnel is due to open in Autumn which will enable trains to get from Kildare side straight to Connolly cutting my commute by around a third.

You have obviously thought long and hard about this. Follow your dream and find the perfect house in the area you have chosen. One could shout the negatives aspects about your decision all day long, however for you the positives far outweigh the negatives so go for it and best of luck to you.

Thanks. We really have thought a lot about it. We want space around us while having easy access to Dublin. I don't consider 40km from the city to be in the sticks. Sorry but can you clarify, did you move to Newbridge or are you a local? What is Newbridge like as a town? For that matter what is Kilcullen like? Although we will be located in between these two and not necessarily in either I expect that we will frequent both. I've read old posts about Newbridge being a little rough but it seems that things are changing over the years as more and more families continue to move there.

Kendron I live in whitethorn and as we live in a small world......My family home is in Bunratty. Have lived here a year now. Nice estate, lots of young families. Warmest house I've lived in. Great finish, builder has won awards for previous estates, sound guy(once you can track him down) any specific qn's? Where in bunratty are you from?

Wow, it is a small world :)
Well to be honest my wife is from the Wells, Bunratty. I'm actually originally from Shannon but spend most of my time in Bunratty when we head back there. Did you buy a semi or detached? I'm curious about the sound proofing between buildings. I'm very cautious as I have heard horror stories about semi detached houses that are not properly sound proofed. How do you like Athgarvan and the surrounding area (Newbridge, kilcullen, Kildare, Nass, Curragh) in generation? Do you commute to Dublin or know anyone who does it and how do you/they find it?
Sorry for all the questions but its a real gamble moving to an area you don't know. That said every time we have gone over we have met nothing but nice people.

Wow, it is a small world :)
Well to be honest my wife is from the Wells, Bunratty. I'm actually originally from Shannon but spend most of my time in Bunratty when we head back there. Did you buy a semi or detached? I'm curious about the sound proofing between buildings. I'm very cautious as I have heard horror stories about semi detached houses that are not properly sound proofed. How do you like Athgarvan and the surrounding area (Newbridge, kilcullen, Kildare, Nass, Curragh) in generation? Do you commute to Dublin or know anyone who does it and how do you/they find it?
Sorry for all the questions but its a real gamble moving to an area you don't know. That said every time we have gone over we have met nothing but nice people.
We definitely went to the same primary so!
We rented in Kilcullen for two yrs, loved it. Active community, nice ppl and a lot going on for a small place, community seemed well funded and kept nice and tidy. Orig wanted to buy there but didn't find a suitable place.we would head that dirn for messages /pints ECT. Lot of commuters and or horsey ppl. Think sixmilebridge ish(but more money)

Newbridge has had the rep ofbeing rough but is growing out of that rep. We also rented there for about two yrs and it was fine. Never really saw and issues, but I also rarely drank there. Nice shopping with white water. Between it and Naas it has all the shops toy would reg need. Think Ennis ish.

The estate is v nice, but I would be biased! Nice pub and shop to keep you ticking over.think Deepark with a pub.

Have you lived in a semi d before? Party wall is a std block laid flat(9 inch thick). As for noise, you can hear neighbours from time to time. 90% conductive noise like dragging chairs or marble s dropping on tiles type noise. I have never heard voices. You can hear anything solid monted to thus wall like slamming cupboardsect. I might just have quite neighbours. I have asked them before if they have ever heard my baby crying but they said no.

You share a wall so it'll never be like a detached house.

Best thing to do is to go into one of the houses and send your wife into the other with a few pots and pans!!

Would your wife be anything to the jones's? Anymore qn's?

I commute to st Stevens green. Great train service, 145 bus collects at door drops at door. Luas cross city and tunnel will only help. Fast train is 22-27 mins slow is 34 to 45. Wife works in ifsc. Send me contact details if you want more info. Would be easier to chat on phone

Thanks for that. Great comparisons with the places:) really helps to get an impression of the places. Yeah, i have heard great things about Kilcullen and I was also impressed with the amount of things happening in the community. The commute really is not that bad at all to the IFSC and as you said it will only improve once the tunnel is open.
I'll send you a private message with my number. If you get a chance give me a buzz to chat or send me your contact details.

Thanks

Great! I'll send you a private message with my number. Feel free to give me a buzz when you are free or send me your details and i will ring you.

Thanks
Thanks, I appreciate that :)

Back