At fifty and a plan required for bank debt

fortynine

Hi,

Great site for helping with peoples problems. I'm single and 50 this year and need a plan so that I am debt free by 65 and will have a small pension fund
Personal and income details

Income self: nature of income : Employed in construction company - 20% shareholding. Gross €44k pa. Net € 2,700 per month.
Income history:previous company went into liquidation in 2011 - had 20% shareholding.
Income partner/spouse: n/a
Income history:
number of children none
Amount of Mortgage Interest Supplement received : Nil

Home loan
Lender: EBS
Amount outstanding: 240,000
Value of home: 220,000
Interest rate: specify whether tracker or SVR or fixed rate : 2.25% Tracker ( EBS call it a price promise ). Note : Loan is set up as a Buy to let loan but I have lived there since buying the house in 2002.
Monthly repayment Should be 1570pm with 15yrs remaining. Currently paying 450pm interest only.
Amount in arrears : Nil

Commercial Loan to Buy shares in company ( in liquidation since 2011 )
Lender: EBS
Amount outstanding: 285,000 ( 350,000 loan in 2005 for 20 yrs )
Value of home: Nil. This loan was cross securitised against my house above.
Interest rate: 4.6% SVR
Monthly repayment : Should be 2400 pm. Paying 1080 pm interest only.
Amount in arrears : Nil
Monthly rent received : Nil

Other loans and creditors - delete those which don't apply to you
Overdraft : 4000
Credit Card : 12000 - paying 400 pm

Other savings and investments

BES scheme - Exit Date 2012 - did not happen - current value 11,000.
Rent of 560 pm received from 2 tenants sharing the house with me.
I have another property which is delapidated but may fetch 30,000 if sold. EBS also have charge over this property.
The 20% company shareholding gives no control in the company versus the majority shareholder. This is a trading company and is unlikely to have any significant value in the future.

How important is retaining the family home to you?
Which of the following best describes your situation?

I would like to keep it, but will be sold if required.

Any other relevant information :
Company will start paying into a pension for me from this year on - approx 10,000 per year.
Salary should rise in the coming years ( 60-70K )
The loan on my house reverted to capital and interest payments in January 2013 so I contacted EBS, filled out SFS docs and got 6 mth interest only extension. I received a letter confirming the 6 mth interest only on the home loan but received no letter on the commercial loan - I was told when I queried same that it was approved but still no letter.
I have had mortgages with EBS since 1995 ( 3 other properties bought and sold ) and I've never missed a payment. In fairness to EBS they have been very polite and helpful. However the figures don't add up so a plan is required.

What is your preferred realistic outcome?

Concentrate on paying off home loan so it is cleared by age 65.
Bank writes off 285k loan.
Bank has no access to my pension or any increase in value of my home.
Is all this a realistic expectation when dealing with the bank. I would prefer to do a private deal with the bank rather than a PIP I would also consider bankruptcy in UK.

Many thanks for your help.

First and formeost you have 11K savings and a property worth c. 30K. Before the banks casually wirte off 285K loan they will want access to that. Could you use these savings/assets to get you through this rough patch in terms of paying back your loans, and once your salary improves you may be in a position to pay back a lot of your outstanding debt.

I'm not sure this is as cut and dry as just the bank simply writing of 285K loan...but who knows...my worry would be that this PIA could lead to a free for all.

As I understand it any money in a pension cannot be touched by creditors. Get legal advice on that and forgo salary for pension

Thanks Goingforgold and Cremegg for your comments.

The bank are aware of BES monies and the second property. I don't have a date when the BES monies will be repaid ( Writedown from 20k to 11k by the BES managers in 2012 ) but it could be a long time or never. I will sell the second property whenever the bank wants this. These monies do not materially affect the situation.

I note your comments re the pension. It is being set up for a number of people and so will be a set amount.

The point I would like to make is that the rough patch will continue forever if I ignore the figures. Paying interest only for next 15 yrs = 275k. 40% of my current salary over 15 yrs = 194K + rent = 294k. So I will have reduced my overall debt from 525k to 506K.

House value increase will go to the bank so I end up at 65 with 0% equity in the house.

The madness would be not to come up with a final solution now. Obviously asking the bank to writeoff a 285k svr loan and leave you with a 240k tracker loan to repay seems like madness also.

Any pointers to dealing with the bank would be appreciated.

Back