Assistance on Contracting Issues

InfoSeeker

I am changing career in the next few weeks, hoping long term it will be a good move but in the short term I lose half of my current wage:(

Moving from IT to Tax and might be getting an initial job offer which is 6 months contracting & then will be permanent subject to being a good employee:)

Reason for 6 months contract is that company has a hire freeze at the moment and this makes it easier for the Tax Director to get approval immediately for the position.

If I was offered a PAYE wage then it would be 25k as a starting wage, 20 days holiday & VHI -> Pension would be after 6 months so this is not applicable.

So what are the implications of contracting, if anyone can think of other items that I should mention then I would appreciate the feedback.

(1) No holidays if I contract so I lose 10 days holidays over 6 months
(2) If I am sick then no pay
(3) No VHI so I have to pay this myself

12,500/26 weeks = 480.77 per week
Based on a 37.5 hr week then this is 12.82 per hour

I am doing my final AITI exams in May, 2008 -> most people working in a tax practice would get 3/4 weeks off to study & a week off to sit the exams.

In my interviews I mentioned this and the Tax Director said she would work something out. I think it would be wise to document this before I start, would others agree?

I was thinking that I should ask for 2 weeks study leave & 1 week to sit the exams and state that this would be paid.

Then ask for 14 euro an hour to cover VHI and non payment for sick days, etc.

Now I have not got the final job offer but should know by the end of this week so am just trying to think out loud & be prepared before I do or do not get the offer!!!

Back