Assigned Car Space Blocks Neighbour's Access

Walk away , buy a house with a drive way.What happens if your having a gathering in your house say a housewarming, christening etc etc and all your friends/family arrive say 10 cars, where do they all park?
I think communal/designated parking is wrong and should never have been allowed as its main purpose is to sqeeze as many houses as possible into an area to suit the pockets of the developer/council, ie balbriggans new estates barrons hall , chieftens way etc, tyrrellstown , applewood etc which look like nodytown were your car is not visible from the front of your house which attracts theft and damage to cars.Fingal county councils fine planning department!!

finbar said:
Walk away , buy a house with a drive way.What happens if your having a gathering in your house say a housewarming, christening etc etc and all your friends/family arrive say 10 cars, where do they all park?
I think communal/designated parking is wrong and should never have been allowed as its main purpose is to sqeeze as many houses as possible into an area to suit the pockets of the developer/council, ie balbriggans new estates barrons hall , chieftens way etc, tyrrellstown , applewood etc which look like nodytown were your car is not visible from the front of your house which attracts theft and damage to cars.Fingal county councils fine planning department!!
This is something that lots of people highlight but the fact is, if I had a driveway, only 2 cars would fit in it.

true but you will also fit visiting extra cars on the road by the kerb in atraditional style semi-d

finbar said:
true but you will also fit visiting extra cars on the road by the kerb in atraditional style semi-d
Ah, now I see your point. This gaf, though, does have lots of kerb space as well as visitor parking but the kerb would strictly be for special occasions as the estate was designed with aesthetic quality (a.k.a. prettiness) in mind. That's why the parking is off street - it was a condition the council imposed.

There is war going on in my parent's [traditional 3-bed semi-ds with front gardens and driveways] estate about this - neighbours who've been friends for donkey's years not speaking because a car from one house was parked beside next door's kerb when next door's visitors arrived and had to park up the road a bit.

As I understand it, the space beside the kerb on the roads in an estate is public property - nobody necessarily has a right to park outside their house or is necessarily in the wrong by parking on the road next door's house [this is the case in my parent's estate, at any rate; obviously I'm open to correction.]

Also, what if someone's buying an apartment and has only 1 or 2 assigned spaces and there's a christening/family gathering/whatever?

Seems like there'd be parking issues no matter what you buy once you decide to have a part-ay. Our concern is mainly just to get the one space that is assigned to the house we would like to buy sorted. We'll let the visitors get the train or something :p

the fact his access is blocked is obviously his problem. you are the ones making all the effort to find a solution. if he doesn't agree to swap or at least come to some sort of agreeable arrangement with you tell him you're taking what will be your assigned parking space back and will not be leaving any room for him to come in/out when your car is parked there.

Just came across this thread and would love to have an update. It's obviously an issue that would affect many prospective vendors/purchasers.

In the abscence of the OP's providing a real update Ill try my hand at a fantasy one...

The OP's were never going to be talked out of this house purchase so they went ahead withOUT any formal solution being setup. The first thing they did when they moved back in was repaint their number on the wall and park their car and block neighbour's access.

They waited for the neighbour to complain and were surprised when two weeks passed and nothing happened. As bin day had come and gone without an issue they figured, oh well - that must have done the trick! Neighbour backs down, all is good in the world.

Meanwhile neighbour returns from two week vacation to find for sale sign down and number painted on the wall. Furious he orders a skip and has it parked at his back entrance and begins a very slow process of "wait it out" with OP. Of course what OP doesnt know is neighbours brother owns a skip delivery business and can afford to leave there as long as he likes. Last I heard, the skip is still parked there (slowly filling up with all the nieghbours rubbish and is now causing a health hazard. OP is now parking in a visitor space or down the street at parents house. This has caused consternation at OPs parents house as there was already parking issues there too.

Had unsubscribed from this thread & have only seen the new posts now - thought I would provide pansyflower & anyone else who might find themselves in a similar situation with an update.

Yes, we went ahead with the purchase. We were never looking to be talked out of buying this house - as we were at pains to explain all along, it ticked every one of our boxes - per the original post, we started this thread to explore possible ways of resolving the parking/access issue because we were confident that it was not an insurmountable problem. What we sought all along was a solution that would give us our dedicated parking space while enabling the neighbours to access their back gate.

As the parking space is legally our property and since the neighbours shouldn't have touched it in the first place, yes, we repainted the house number on the wall. This also negates the worry, as raised previously in this thread, of what a future buyer of our house might make of our parking space being the only one without a number in the car park.

To make sure the neighbours can get their wheelie bins, bicycles etc in and out of their back garden without having to lug them through the house, we park close to the side wall [to leave lots of space between our car and the one beside us] and a couple of feet away from the back wall [to leave lots of space directly at their back gate].

This arrangement has been in place and working for all concerned for the past 10 months - we have our parking space, our neighbours have their access. No problems.

Well done! Just goes to show what can be achieved with a little goodwill. Perhaps you might have a bit ot time to spare to aid the great and the good in their protracted political negotiations!!

Thanks for replying.

In the abscence of the OP's providing a real update Ill try my hand at a fantasy one...

The OP's were never going to be talked out of this house purchase so they went ahead withOUT any formal solution being setup. The first thing they did when they moved back in was repaint their number on the wall and park their car and block neighbour's access.

They waited for the neighbour to complain and were surprised when two weeks passed and nothing happened. As bin day had come and gone without an issue they figured, oh well - that must have done the trick! Neighbour backs down, all is good in the world.

Meanwhile neighbour returns from two week vacation to find for sale sign down and number painted on the wall. Furious he orders a skip and has it parked at his back entrance and begins a very slow process of "wait it out" with OP. Of course what OP doesnt know is neighbours brother owns a skip delivery business and can afford to leave there as long as he likes. Last I heard, the skip is still parked there (slowly filling up with all the nieghbours rubbish and is now causing a health hazard. OP is now parking in a visitor space or down the street at parents house. This has caused consternation at OPs parents house as there was already parking issues there too.

In this fantasy scenario I dont see what legal right the neighbour would have to place and keep a skip on the other neighbours property :confused:

Forgot to mention that in the fantasy version - the neighbours brother in law was also the local gaurda - he looked the other way. it was a terrible situation really.

As the map of what the place looks like now is different from the Land Registry map and what P.P. was given for, I can still see some problems in the future. Do any of the parking spaces for any of the residents actually match the exact coordinates of the property registered to them in the Land Registry. If I were living there, I'd be pressing the Co Council to sort this out asap and get the layout adjusted to match the Land Registry map exactly.

We moved into an estate years ago and after a while discovered that the borders between properties weren't as per Land Registry.
We were all happy with the new layout so with the help of solicitors we all signed up to the new arangement and the Land Registry map was changed.

Back