Asked for term extension - offered 12 month reduced payments: arguments for appeal?

suds

Hi - we are not in mortgage arrears (have never missed a payment) and are not in negative equity. However, due to changed circumstances (job loss and a new child) we are struggling and eating into our small savings. We foresee trouble ahead. Our mortgage has 14 years to run and we thought to extend the term by 5 years, and we put in a request to this effect to the bank. I am a public sector worker aged 47, so we thought this would bring us to retirement age. If my spouse (10 years older than me) gets work in the future (as we hope he will) then we will overpay and bring the term back down.

The bank have instead offered us reduced payments for 12 months. They say that this will be followed by higher repayments after this period than set out in the mortgage loan offer letter, as the term will not be extended. This seems to me like lending us money for a year and then asking for it to be re-paid next year, not a restructuring of our mortgage over the long haul. We thought we would appeal to their Mortgage Appeals Board. Are there any good arguments in favour of a term extension rather than a short-term payment reduction?

The problem with any term lending now is that they dont want to do it due to lack of term funding. If you are eating into savings then you need to address the issue

Did you go through the MARP process and fill out all the forms etc?

Not much point is appealing, why not take the reduced payments, put the money aside, or just pay it in anyway, and revisit in 12 months

I suppose we were looking for a more long term solution since we need to lower our outgoings. This way - our payments will go up next year so we would be worse off then than now. So I don't know what we would gain from taking this.

Sorry hastalavista - should have said thanks for your reply, and also that yes, we have filled in a financial statement etc.

Sorry hastalavista - should have said thanks for your reply, and also that yes, we have filled in a financial statement etc.

No worries, I would engage with them, take the reduced payments and either put it aside and use it as a lump sum payment against the principal at the end of the year and 'go again' with them. keep the dialogue open.

I think a year will tell a lot in terms of bank's attitude to folk

Back