Askaboutmoney should send occasional messages to people advising of big savings

MrEarl

(Copied from another thread where Bigbird had secured an interest rate cut through a phone call.)

Well done Bigbird !

That is a very good result for very little effort.

Hello Mr. Burgess,

Does this website have the ability to send a message to all registered members (on an opt in / opt out basis) ? Assuming it does, why not send a message out to all members here to make them aware of this opportunity and also, ask them to spread the word ? I think an occasional message on something like this would be very well received, given it benefits the consumer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if we can send messages via the "conversation" system.

We can send emails. But mass emails like this are not a good idea. They are often classified as spam and can get AAM blacklisted.

For example, I am plagued by people who try to register via Hotmail. Hotmail classifies the registration confirmation email as spam.

Brendan

How about an "announcement" which appears on the homepage for a period of time? - the announcement could link to the appropriate thread where the savings info was posted and have a very brief explanation. The older AAM platform allowed announcements, usually used for downtime news.

Hi gipimann

That is certainly less intrusive. We can still do announcements. I must check to make sure that people can hide it once they have read it.

Brendan

Would highlighting and promoting savings opportunities constitute financial advice?

I think there is a very important difference between making people aware of the existence of a product or service and actually promoting or recommending it.

This is something that would be for information purposes only, as I see it.

Well the way I see it is that highlighting the issue will also give banks the opportunity to stop it. I would not be in favour. It's up to people here to read through and make themselves savvy. When someone looks for advice they can be pointed to the thread. Bank employees read aam too you know.

Back