Arklife PIP - originally SSIA

emily_moss

Hi

After my SSIA maturing date I continued with my €254 contribution into the PIP with Arklife. Like most investments it has lost a lot of money recently. I don't know the details about the PIP, but I do know it is a half and half low and medium risk investment. Anyway, my plan was to cash in the majority of it in in early September as I need some cash. I spoke to my local Arklife representitive about the loss and my options. She suggested leaving it alone and taking out a short-term loan instead for the €10K I need soon. She said that because share prices are so low at the moment it will work in my favour because I can buy a lot more shares with my money now and when the market recovers I will make a killing basically.

Surely it not a simple as that? Am I being fooled?

I spoke to my local Arklife representitive about the loss and my options.
No point expecting independent, professional advice in your best interests from a tied agent in my opinion.
She suggested leaving it alone and taking out a short-term loan instead for the €10K I need soon.
Although that may not be a bad idea assuming that charges are not excessive on this product and cannot be bettered elsewhere (UI have a sneaking feeling that they can though) and you are happy to invest in the current funds for a longer term.
She said that because share prices are so low at the moment it will work in my favour because I can buy a lot more shares with my money now and when the market recovers I will make a killing basically.
There's an element of truth in that but there's also an element of sales pitch.

If in doubt get independent, professional advice.

If you were in an equity SSIA then over the 5 years you made a good return.
Even with the current drops you still should be showing an overall reasonable return ?

The advice you got was good advice if you can afford to invest longer term. Could you not get a credit union loan for a year or 2

Yes I could get a credit union loan and AIB said they could sort something out for me too, maybe reduce my contributions to the PIP if I had to and take out a loan.

At least I know now that it wasn't complete rubbish I was being told!!

Back