Are software engineers entitled to any expenses in employment allowance?

It is only applicable to tjose who buy uniforms and tools.

Suit = uniform (I wouldn't buy the suit if I didn't need it for work)

PC, Software, memory sticks etc = Tools.

Finally got a reply today from Revenue to my query on this matter{
2.With regards to expenses there are flat rate expenses relative to
particular jobs. These are agreed between Revenue and the relative trade
unions. Per the list I have there is none that I can find for "Software
engineers". It would be best to check with your union representative to check
whether this situation has changed. Tax relief on certain other expenses may
be claimed for. They have to be wholly exclusively and necessarily incurred
in the performance of the duties of your employment. You would need to
provide an list of the expenses being claimed for. There is no definite
guarantee that tax relief on the expenses being claimed for will be granted.

Hi there,
I have rang the revenue about this serveral times and was told each time "No", however on the same day some of my colleagues have also rang the revenue and have recieved the tax relief..!

Hi all,
I rang the tax office myself and was informed that as a software engineer I was not entitled to expenses. It is only applicable to tjose who buy uniforms and tools.
P:(

Somewhat nonsensical considering the revenue list one category as "All unskilled workers and skilled or semi-skilled workers who do not bear the full cost of own tools and overalls. And as someone else said tools is a rather vague term.

I was just searching to see where I would put the engineers flat rate expenses on the form 11, when I came across this thread.

Does it go on the form 11 anywhere?

Ix

Hi all,
I rang the tax office myself and was informed that as a software engineer I was not entitled to expenses. It is only applicable to tjose who buy uniforms and tools.
P:(

Somewhat nonsensical considering the revenue list one category as "All unskilled workers and skilled or semi-skilled workers who do not bear the full cost of own tools and overalls. And as someone else said tools is a rather vague term.

I was just searching to see where I would put the engineers flat rate expenses on the form 11, when I came across this thread.

Does it go on the form 11 anywhere?

I've just read a few more threads on this. It seems very confused. Looks like the categories are vague enough to include most engineers, but Revenue if pressed think it only applies to Electrical engineers. I suspect this is because the ESB unions got this tax relief in the beginning...

Anyone got any updates on this?

Ix

Hi, could someone clarify a few things?

Do I need to provide proof of your job title?

I've been a Software Developer for 9 years. I'm referred to as a Software Engineer in my job but the job title is still 'Software Developer'. Will this have any kinda effect if I try to claim this?

Do we need to provide receipts for expenses - or is it like medical expenses (they don't require them but may request them at a later date)?

Thanks for any help

K.

I've been a Software Developer for 9 years. I'm referred to as a Software Engineer in my job but the job title is still 'Software Developer'. Will this have any kinda effect if I try to claim this?
Revenue told me that software engineers are not entitled to any employment in expenses credit.

Where the credit is claimed I think it's all done on a self assessed basis and you don't have to vouch for the details unless asked (now or in the future).

Thanks Clubman.

Seems to be mixed results when contacting Revenue about this. I'll give it a try myself.

As ever I don't think that getting a "yes" from Revenue is necessarily the solution here. You need to get independent, professional confirmation that you are entitled to the credit before claiming it but the amount involved probably doesn't merit getting such advice. If you claim it and are not actually entitled to it (even if Revenue said that you were) then you are technically evading tax and you could eventually have to pay the relief back and Revenue will not accept any misinformation on their part as an excuse for you having incorrectly claimed the credit.

Any update since?

Has there been update to this since? I got my statement of tax credits etc today and see a Flat Rate Expenses entry = 25.60euro. I'm 13 years employed in Software Development and definitely never requested this myself.

I asked them last year (?) and they said no. I'm not aware of anything that changes this in the meantime.

Back