Are quoted home energy savings real or a bluff?

RMCF

As someone who is thinking of buying some extra loft insulation before the winter arrives, I was a little shocked to notice this small print in an article I was reading a few weeks back about household savings that could be achieved in upgrading various things.

I think it was in regard to loft insulation to be honest (not sure though).

The article may have said you could save, say for example, 30% on lost heat through your roof by adding 200mm of insulation. However the small print said "compared to having no insulation in place".

Surely this is a bluff. Nearly all houses have some insulation already there, and so your savings may be 10% really?

Anyone else see any examples like this? A lot of the figures I see quoted re: home energy seem very high - do you think they are over-exaggerating them to try to get us to upgrade?

Not in the least.

You do need to remember that it is cumulative to a point. So if you have no insulation you will notice a substantial decrease in the energy needed if you install insulation. If you have some and are topping up the increase is diminished.

If you have 200mm and put another 200mm on top the increase in saving is minimal as there will be other venues for heat to escape.

If you insulate walls, draught proof windows and insulate the attic (from a low base) you will see a massive increase in comfort and by return lower energy bills.

It will all depend on your starting point and naturally the figures look better if you start from zero.

Back