Are our water meters still being read?

Discussion in 'Water metering and charges' started by Grizzly, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Grizzly

Grizzly Frequent Poster

I'm just wondering are our water meters still being read or has that been scrapped altogether?

I continue to conserve water and it would be interesting to know what my usage is.

2. noproblem

noproblem Frequent Poster

No they're not and no new ones being fitted either.

3. cremeegg

cremeegg Frequent Poster

Can you read your meter yourself. I can read mine.

4. gipimann

gipimann Frequent Poster

My monthly usage can still be read on my online Irish Water account, which suggests that the meters are still being read.

5. Grizzly

Grizzly Frequent Poster

Thanks. Still some confusion then? It was suggested that those using more than their fair share of water would be penalised in some way so I was wondering if this came to anything.
    I must dig out my old account number and see if there are updates.
    cremeegg I suppose I could lift the lid on the footpath and monitor it, but gipimann's way seems the more logical way to do it.

6. Cervelo

Cervelo Frequent Poster

One of the many things that annoyed me about the whole water issue was that our road didn't get our water meters installed
    On the day of installation some protesters, who I've never seen before or since, showed up and stopped the meters been fitted
    I can moniter all other services that I use except my water, what a shame:(

Leo likes this.
  7. newirishman

newirishman Frequent Poster

My water meter is also read, at least, data continues to be updated on the water.ie website.
    When you think about it, this makes perfect sense as one of the reasons for putting the meters in is/was to be better able to detect and locate leaks.

8. DMcL1971

DMcL1971 Frequent Poster

I just checked the site and as newirishman says the usage details are still being updated. They are visible on a graph. Bills with values of zero are still being listed each quarter but are not available to download. Therefore actual meter readings cannot be seen only monthly volume usage from the graph.

Interestingly the last bill listed for me from a couple of months ago showed a refund of 22 Euro on my account. This bill is a year after the last actual charged bill. I rang about this and they told me this was a refund due from last year when they had incorrectly billed me when the meter was initially installed.

9. noproblem

noproblem Frequent Poster

Schools and business's always paid for their water and were on a meter long before they were imposed on the public. Don't know if they still pay but i'd imagine they still do. A person would never read it, they could do it remotely from their car with some device, so maybe that's being done on private houses where there are meters, but no one's reading the water meter.

10. newirishman

newirishman Frequent Poster

The water meters are designed to be read remotely. Readings are still taking place.

"Imposed" on the public?

11. Gervan

Gervan Frequent Poster

Out of curiosity I went to the site and saw we had used minus 453.804 cubic metres in January 2017. A correction, I assume for showing extremely high usage Oct to Dec 2016. Our usual consumption seems to be about 5 cum per month.
    I'm very glad we were not being billed in October -December 2016, but somewhat concerned that the measured reading was 100 times our usage.

12. losttheplot

losttheplot Frequent Poster

This is from my account. The first 4 bars were due to leaky cisterns. Would I have fixed these if it wasn't for water charges - maybe, but the charges were an extra incentive. The next biggest bar was when we went on holiday and someone left a tap on, just a little bit, for 5 days.

upload_2017-8-18_0-55-52.png

Leo likes this.
  13. Grizzly

Grizzly Frequent Poster

I see that I have been using between 2 & 4 cubic metres of water for a two person household per month. Only twice have I gone over 4 cubic metres. July when I was watering my garden vegetables.

Seems kind of low?

14. DMcL1971

DMcL1971 Frequent Poster

That does seem low to me. I live on my own in an apartment. I do not shower at home as I go to the gym every morning and shower there and I'm averaging 3 a month.

It would be interesting to know what other people are using. I would have considered my usage to be just about the lowest you could go.

15. losttheplot

losttheplot Frequent Poster

Our usage is 2 adults and 2 children (9 and 10). We're just below 7. When did you last wash?