Are ETF's worth it considering Deemed Disposal?

Ted110

Hi,

So looking at Vanguard S&P 500 (VUSA) via Degiro. . . The more I read on here the less I'm convinced it or any ETF is worth having, considering the Deemed Disposal rule here in Ireland.

It sounds like over the LONG term this could be a Massive burden. If the investment grew Substantially large by being added to (Euro Cost Averaging let's say) continuously and one has to pay MANY thousands in tax on notional gains.

I assume the idea is one tries pay this via other sources (other savings etc.) and not from selling from within the ETF yes?
If it gets to a large profit over time, that would surely demand huge amounts of cash on hand (I should specify I'm in no way a high earner, around the 30k mark)

That's a wordy question I could've made simple via just the title 'Are ETF's worth it Considering Deemed Disposal?' haha.

Ed

P.S. I read someone mentioning buying individual shares in something like Berkshire class B (not class A obviously ha) as it has tracked very similarly to the S&P500 this past decade. . . any thoughts on this? Not sure about this though as I'd like to track the S&P specifically but the Deemed Disposal is heartbreaking.

Back