Architect v Draughtsman

U

Unregistered

Hi All,

Just looking for some advice about which option I should choose.
I have recevied approx quotes of an architect and draughtsman for the cost
of creating house plans through to planning. The architects cost is nearly 3 times the price of the draughtsman. I am unsure if I am getting sufficient
value from the architect to justify the cost.

Anyone got any ideas

http://askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=9187 This thread may help you. To add my tuppence, maybe an architect would be more aware of the best use of space in design. Also does the draughtsman have Private Indemnity Insurance in case the house fell down in the future? Maybe this is why an architect is dearer. My advise would be to shop around, I think architects vary hugely in price. I gave the details of an architectural practise (used by my sister-in-law) in this link that I believe are very reasonable.

Thanks for the response I will continue to shop around....

the only diff apart from cost is that an architect , coming from an arty background might be able to design something a bit nicer. ive seen loads of plans designed by draughtsmen-engineers and most seem very boxy and functional , like something lifted straight out of a leaving cert tech drawing class.
on the other hand, from a business contact in the concrete industry ive heard that a lot of architects can be clueless about structural issues/ loads etc and design stuff that cannot/cannot easily be built.

The draughtsman won't be able to sign off on the certificate necessary to ensure that you can resell the house (if there are any significant structural changes involved).

i am an engineer and occasionally do planning/construction drawings

my advice:

1. if you know what u want (and its not too sexy) get an engineer
2. if your going for the wow factor get a GOOD Architect (not a junior guy) and be prepared to splash the cash.
3. if your somewhere in the middle get an Architectural technician to do the drawings and get an engineer to do certs/stage payments.

Architects really justify their fee for a 'wow' project. otherwise save the cash

MH

I fully agree with MHSpurs.Keep in mind that architects usually do not have the training/ability to do the calculations concerning the statics as eamon66 says already.

MHSpurs captured the issues in a nut shell. But also consider, who draws the Architects ideas? The Architectural Technical - and they are generally far more savy on current Building Regulation requirements such as u values (heat efficiency) and disabled access requirements as they are working at the coal face. Insurance is not really a issue for planning permission as the drawings are only schematic in nature, ie they are not at construction detail level. If you have a AT you would like to use, ask to see a portfolio of their work. If you want to use one individual from design straight through to finish get a Chartered Engineer ([broken link removed]) or RIAI Architect (www.riai.ie) as they should have the training and insurance in place.

Back