APR% on Purch v APR% on New Purchases

IrishGunner

ok the time has come to change my cc

Checked and the best APR on Purchases is with Permanent TSB however their APR % on new purchases is n/a

However going on hols to South Africa in Feb and wanted to check the APR % on new purchases as will be booking flights, accomodation on CC

I clear my balance each month but going on hols will be an exception and maybe I wont clear it in FEB

I am with Ulster so cannot pick their introductory APR. So the next best introductory offer is with BOI 0% for 6 months

Would it be more worthwhile to go with TSB or BOI going on the above ?

Note that 0% offers are often only for transferred balances and while any of the transferred balance is outstanding all subsequent transactions attract immediate interest charges. Have you checked the credit card offers in the best buys list?

If you are only going to be paying interest very rarely, why use it as your prime criteria for picking the card. Have you thought about the level of customer service you're going to get, how long it takes to make payments to your card (might be quicker with your own bank), internet access to your card account etc?

CREDIT CARDS
Introductory Rates Balance transfers Purchases Introductory Period
Ulster Bank 0% 0% 9 months
Tesco Visa 0% 0% 6 months
National Irish Bank 0% 0% 5 months

Standard Rates APR Purchases APR Cash FX Charge
AIB Platinum 6.90% A 6.90% A 1.75%
Permanent TSB Ice 9.90% 11.60% 1.75%
One Direct Gold 10.90% 12.60% 2.65%
National Irish Bank Gold 11.90% 14.20% 1.75%
Ulster Bank Zinc 12.90% 14.70% 2.00%
A = 10.50% after 12 months

Not really concerned with internet cc & bank with TSB so their customer service is ok The balance trf is going to be zero. Then after that I am going to book hotels & accomodation in South Africa with the new cc Thats what I was basing my criteria on. So these 'high' purchases would have a 0% rate as they would be purchased within the introductory period is this a wrong presumption?

IrishGunner said:
So these 'high' purchases would have a 0% rate as they would be purchased within the introductory period is this a wrong presumption?
If there is a balance transfer special rate then this applies to balance transfers only and not to new transactions in most or all cases. Judging by the best buys list the AIB Platinum card might be the best rate for new purchases but you should shop around to make sure that this is the case.

ClubMan said:
If there is a balance transfer special rate then this applies to balance transfers only and not to new transactions in most or all cases. Judging by the best buys list the AIB Platinum card might be the best rate for new purchases but you should shop around to make sure that this is the case.
The AIB Platinum card looks like an exceptional deal but where's the catch? What's the minimum income to qualify and are there any fees apart from the €40? I've googled and can't find anything relevant.

Strange - the [broken link removed] states that the rate on the card is 10.5% APR. Maybe the best buys list is not up to date. I need to review it sometime soon...

ClubMan said:
Strange - the [broken link removed] states that the rate on the card is 10.5% APR. Maybe the best buys list is not up to date. I need to review it sometime soon...
And the AIB site is of little use - you have to chase around to find the T&Cs on the Platinum product.

Minimum salary for AIB Platinum Card is €50,000. No other fees (other than interest, fx charges and stamp duty). "Cashback facility", but this is for a limited period of time and requires a high enough level of annual expenditure to qualify.

Back