Approved Retirement Fund (ARF)

You seem to be taking this personally.

I was merely trying to help the OP by clarifying very vague advice from your post.

Whether or not they will be taxed is circumstance-specific.
Therefore, I would think that advising someone that tax may apply and that this would depend on the level of their income would be much better advice through a webiste - given that, as you said, this is just a website.

With hindsight I agree that your suggestion below would have been more precise than my reply. My original reply was correct but I failed to include some additional provisos that might have been useful to the original poster.

You seem to be taking this personally.

Not at all. But this did irritate me..."the basic point is that telling someone to encash because they will be hit by tax without assessing their personal situation would be very very poor advice." because it clearly showed that you hadn't read my original post in this thread properly.

Ok, agreed.

OP is probably more confused than ever now...sorry!

Basically, in very general terms, if the ARF holder has a decent size private pension (€20K+) then they should usually encash 1%, 2%, 3% etc to avoid double taxation.

However, in most cases they may wish to consider independent advice because the circumstance of their case will determine whether or not they could face double taxation issues.

Back