Applying for JA while FIS in process...

rachel101

Hi All

Husband applied for FIS in January. We're well aware of the long waiting time and were prepared to wait but we underestimated how much we were going to struggle. We're very low on savings at this stage which we had been using to subsidise ourselves. I'm updating my cv today to apply for jobs and was thinking of going on JA in meantime. According to the social welfare calc, we'd get €68 on FIS and something like €108 on JA, so if this turns out to be correct then we would be better off with me on JA.
I'm going to go to SW office next week to apply and see if I do actually qualify for anything - but if I do qualify, what do we do with the FIS application? Do I just leave it as it is and inform them of the change when they get back to us with their verdict or should we call them and tell them about it in advance? My main concern is that if I switch to JA I don't want to loose out on the back payments that are due so far as I need this to pay off bills that I've been putting off until FIS comes through.

Any ideas appreciated! Thanks, Rachel

Back