Application for unemployment assistance - what 'outgoings' are taken into account?

dubinamerica

Hi
Just looking on the oasis website looking for info about UA..

For the means test part of this it takes into account cash income and savings / property , and the value of these gives rise to a weekly figure..

Do they actually take into account the outgoings on these as well ? Say the mortgage payments ? Any idea what the limits are ??

Any info appreciated !

Does SW65 clarify the means test aspects of UA? If this is a practical rather than an academic query then make sure that non means tested PRSI linked UB is not an option.

Thanks ClubMan - I had a look at this but couldn't see anything regarding outgoings - so it looks like your savings and investments are totalled up and then you have a weekly amount but I couldn't see any way of reducing this amount. Also - I didn't see any cut offs to say how much per week.. Unfortunately UB is not an option - although both myself and husband have worked for years and years combined as we were out of the country for a few years in the U.S. we don't qualify as we don't have the stamps for benefits. I'm guessing that we won't qualify for assistance as we have assets and rental income, although at the moment no other income (except for child benefit).

If you can see already that you don't fulfill the means test criteria then I would assume that you are ideed not entitled to UA. There may be some other non means tested welfare or health board payments to which you would be entitled but I'm not sure. Do you get no PRSI credits for Social Security payments made in the US in the past?

I contacted social welfare when we came home about moving 'stamps' over ..I was told that the social security payments cannot be used for 'benefits' (maternity and such like) but later on can be used for pension. Even though I worked for the whole time while away and also have years of stamps before moving they seem to be of no value to me at the moment which is obviously frustrating. On the means test thing - the problem is that I can't find a weekly amount on line stating what the limits are and also I can't seem to find if there's anything that can be used to decrease the weekly amount when assets are taken into account. I'll give them a call and try to explain the situation and see if I get any feedback.
Thanks again for the help .

dubinamerica said:
I contacted social welfare when we came home about moving 'stamps' over ..I was told that the social security payments cannot be used for 'benefits' (maternity and such like) but later on can be used for pension. Even though I worked for the whole time while away and also have years of stamps before moving they seem to be of no value to me at the moment which is obviously frustrating.

I know I'm off topic but they do accept National Insurance payments from the UK in lieu of stamps. Trouble is you have to give them details of everywhere you worked which is a right royal pain.

I can confirm that they accept contributions from any EU/EEA country in lieu of Irish stamps. The problem is getting the DSFA to contact the overseas authourity in a timely manner. From my personal dealings with them it would seem that these jobs are a low pirority for them.

You could always do the old Irish thing and lobby your local elected representatives in a situation such as that. I personally don't like involving them in affairs which should be sorted out by themselves in another manner but sometimes needs must...

In my case, they cut off my wifes disability benefit for not having 4 stamps to take her up to the 260 mark. She had over 100 in the UK. We tried telling them numerous times and were fobbed off by it takes time etc. After 8 weeks of no benefit we contacted a local TD who happens to be a junior minister and within 50 mins of our inital contact he was back to me with the news it was all sorted. Received a cheque 3 days later for the back money. It's amazing what they can get done where you keep hitting a brick wall.

Back