Anyone know an expert on the State Pension?

Marianne

I've been having a look at the PRSI contribution records of an acquaintance who turned 66 this year and wants to make application for the Contributory Pension. However, my calculations indicate that he may be just barely short of the requisite minimum average 10 PRSI contributions per year of career. But I'm no expert - I'm just doing my best to interpret the information available from the Citizens Information website.

Before making his formal application, he wonders if there's any independent professionals out there who can assess his situation and advise if there's any way of making Voluntary Contributions or continuing to work for another X years or whatever, in order to qualify.

Any pension consultants I know are experts in private sector pensions but not the finer points of the State system.

Obviously, he can simply go ahead and apply but he's afraid that making application now might preclude him from availing of some possible "loophole" if any exist.

Anyone know of a State pension professional?

Thanks.

if you where to ring the department of social welfare with his pps number,explaining the circumstances,they would be obliged to tell him his intitlements,you can then ask what he needs to do to get his full contributary pension if hes not already intitled to it,they are very helpful thats what they are there for.

If he is 66 years of age, ther is nothing he can do he "top up" his record at this stage in order to qualify for a contributory pension. Why has he not applied for the pension at this stage? He will never find out officially whether he has the necessary record until he does so.

Last edited:
I've been having a look at the PRSI contribution records of an acquaintance who turned 66 this year.

You should get a formal statement of his contribution record from the Sociial Welfare in Sligo (i dont know if you have done this already) - that would show credits for any periods of unemployment etc. and that you may have missed

Last edited:
Back