Anyone imported a car from NI this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

meepman

Hi,
looking for advice on importing a 2nd hand car from NI.

I know that if it was originally a GB car then it has to be registered first in NI if you don't want to be hit with duty charges etc.

Has anyone imported recently?

thanks

Appreciate the reply but I was seeking a clear-cut case that someone had imported in 2021 and their experience.
As far as I am aware buying from NI from a dealer for example and it was originally GB, if it was imported into NI correctly then there is regular vrt and nox to just be paid. Im sure this differs if car is still GB registered however but information on revenue is so vague I was seeking an actual example of it.

See this thread in the Brexit forum.

It's down to the registration dates. You will get hit with duty unless the car was registered in the North prior to January 1st.

It's down to the registration dates. You will get hit with duty unless the car was registered in the North prior to January 1st.
10% duties on cars. Also, was there not an issue too in the papers where the car incurred UK vat on being bought in the UK, and, vat in the ROI on import. I thought that was a topical issue in early January in the press?

10% duties on cars. Also, was there not an issue too in the papers where the car incurred UK vat on being bought in the UK, and, vat in the ROI on import. I thought that was a topical issue in early January in the press?

I think that might have been an early mis-application of the rules. VAT would be payable on import into NI from GB, but as NI is effectively part of the EU, VAT shouldn't be charged coming from NI to ROI. The Times covered it in January with quotes from Revenue & HMRC.

It's states customs charge 'if applicable'.
If it's registered in NI no matter what the date of that is then only vrt and nox should be charged. This was the brexit deal.

If it's registered in NI no matter what the date of that is then only vrt and nox should be charged. This was the brexit deal.
I'm talking about 2nd hand cars here.

My understanding is the TCA only exempted goods from tariffs that originated in the UK and, given cars include a lot of parts that do not originate in the UK even if assembled there, it is a minefield whether they qualify for the tariff exemption, 2nd hand or new

My understanding is the TCA only exempted goods from tariffs that originated in the UK and, given cars include a lot of parts that do not originate in the UK even if assembled there, it is a minefield whether they qualify for the tariff exemption, 2nd hand or new
Yes. It's very vague. If anyone knows of a real example then please stick it on this forum.

Going from experience you should shop around and buy from a reputable garage who are importing a lot of GB cars. You may save yourself a few Euro by doing it yourself but what happens when something goes wrong with the car. Buying from a garage you'll have all the paperwork taken care of, you can get a history check on the car and they'll almost always give you a guarantee. That's what I did last year even though I seriously thought about doing it myself. Very happy with my purchase and they also took my trade in. I'd have saved maybe €1500.00 to €2k by going ahead myself but i'm happy the route I took.

You misunderstand a very significant component of the Brexit deal, and that is duty free trade, but only for goods that can satisfy the Rules of Origin.

It's been well covered in the media, duty is payable.

You misunderstand a very significant component of the Brexit deal, and that is duty free trade, but only for goods that can satisfy the Rules of Origin.

It's been well covered in the media, duty is payable.
I beg to differ. That applies for GB imported items. Not imports from NI.

There's so much information available on this subject that you could only misunderstand it if you really wanted to.

I beg to differ. That applies for GB imported items. Not imports from NI.

You seem to be deliberately choosing to ignore the details that you don't like.

If you read the reports and the supplementary Revenue [broken link removed], it states clearly that duty is supposed to be paid on export from GB to NI. However, the UK government implemented legislation to cut tax on car exports to NI (which is in breach of the NI Protocol). As a result, Irish authorities will now charge duty on cars coming from NI unless you can prove duties were paid on the move from GB to NI.

You seem to be deliberately choosing to ignore the details that you don't like.

If you read the reports and the supplementary Revenue [broken link removed], it states clearly that duty is supposed to be paid on export from GB to NI. However, the UK government implemented legislation to cut tax on car exports to NI (which is in breach of the NI Protocol). As a result, Irish authorities will now charge duty on cars coming from NI unless you can prove duties were paid on the move from GB to NI.
Nothing deliberate and pointless you getting on the high horse about it. I know already that if it's imported correctly into NI from GB that no duties are expected when registered in Ireland.
My original question was has anyone done that yet.?

Nothing deliberate and pointless you getting on the high horse about it. I know already that if it's imported correctly into NI from GB that no duties are expected when registered in Ireland.
My original question was has anyone done that yet.?

Except due to the legislation the UK Government enacted in contradiction of the NI Protocol, second hand cars currently making their way from GB to NI are not being imported 'correctly', so duty is due. Revenue have spelled in out pretty clearly.

But you already know it all, so no point continuing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back