Anyone else's NTL down? 16/7/2008 20:14

NicolaM

Hi
NTL has been threatening to give up over last few days, picture bad/freezing etc, and getting 'upgrading warnings' on the TV screen, with a 'do not turn off your NTL box' message also.
Rang NTL at few days ago, didn't have any useful information.
In Dublin 8.
Anyone else having problems?
(Bill paid, all wires in proper places etc)
:(

ntl had a major problem on Saturday morning with it's Digital. You should unplug your Digital box for at least 1 minute to have it re-set itself and then see how it goes for another day or two before getting them out.

Just tried that, unsuccessfully though.
Don't fancy calling out NTL though. That usually involves taking a day off work.
:(
Thanks for help again, was definitely worth a try
Nicola

I got that 'updating message' as well a few days ago but it only lasted about 2 mins before I was back online. That happened only once.

It's fine this evening. I'm in North County Dublin.

Do you leave your NTL box on standby overnight?

I was connected up on a Saturday, they may also do standard call outs for repairs etc.

no, I turn it off every night (energy conserving).
If it doesn't self right, guess I'll have to get them out.

Useful to know they come on Saturdays. Were you waiting long to get an appointment Rmelly?

no, I turn it off every night (energy conserving).
If it doesn't self right, guess I'll have to get them out.

Useful to know they come on Saturdays. Were you waiting long to get an appointment Rmelly?

A week and a half or so I think.

Probably not much use now but they recommend that you keep it on standby overnight so it gets all updates - not sure if it makes much difference. Don't know if it uses push or pull for updates.

Probably not much use now but they recommend that you keep it on standby overnight so it gets all updates - not sure if it makes much difference. Don't know if it uses push or pull for updates.
Really?
Oh no, I've been giving out to my boyfriend about not turning off everything at the wall, and checking it every night just to make sure it was off!:eek:
That's egg on face!

PS do you reckon it's be worthwhile to start leaving the NTL on overnight? Maybe that'd retune it?

Thanks.
Will give it a go then, nothing to lose.
Didn't realise the thing had to update!

It's no big deal if you leave it plugged in over night or not and usually every few week's you may need to re-boot the box (basically pluging it out) in anyway.
Make sure your scart lead is not loose on tv or back of ntl box and other leads.

Thanks Theresa.
The purple bit of the screen (with time/name of program) appears temporarily, then all goes black, so all wires connected.
I'm going to leave it plugged in, and hope that the NTL Fairy works her magic overnight :)

Thanks Theresa.
The purple bit of the screen (with time/name of program) appears temporarily, then all goes black, so all wires connected.
I'm going to leave it plugged in, and hope that the NTL Fairy works her magic overnight :)

having the same problem. watching programme, screen goes black then purple banner at top reappers and screen comes back on. checked all wires, scart leads etc and grand. will leave it on overnight as suggested and hope it rectifies itself! Thoughts of having to get NTL out not good!! :p

I'm with you there Striker!
I've left the NTL on overnight, and just checked it, and that seems to have done the trick. The NTL Fairy did her magic after all..
:)

I had a problem with NTL last week, it went green and black and I got these update messages on the screen and "can't detect service" or whatever message, and that went on for a day or two and then it was fine again....

Back