I want to buy a sink only available in the UK

Monbretia

I want to buy a sink in UK, stainless steel so not particularly heavy but big awkward size, double sink/double drainer (I cannot find similar here). Company won't post to Ireland, will post to Northern Ireland but that's not helping me much either. I have contacted several courier companies, one company can accept it to their depot in Newry and hold for collection but I have no means of collecting and despite being a delivery company they can't deliver to me down here either. A local company who used to do London trips regularly before Brexit no longer do them. It's too big parcel size for any online courier service I have tried.

Any suggestions? At this stage if I could even get it to Dublin to a friend's house if I opted for the Newry delivery I would have some chance of knowing someone back and forth to Dublin who could possibly collect it for me. I don't mind paying whatever customs etc charges there are on it, I'm replacing a 30 yr old sink and as my father would say this one will see me out! I just really want that size/configuration, there is one double one for sale in Ireland but it's too long for the position it has to go in, this is a shorter version but with the double set up.

I have tried everywhere! This is not a popular sink type as sinks for domestic houses are getting smaller because most people use dishwashers but because of the way I work in the kitchen I have always had a double full size sink but never enough drainer space and this is the ideal solution and now that I'm changing it I may as well get the one I want.

The only other sinks available in Ireland in that configuration are geared at the commercial market, schools/creches/hospitals etc and are bigger in size and many many multiples of the price :eek: of this domestic sink. I have a set amount of space that this can go into and the one I have sourced in UK will just about squeeze in. I even thought of putting in two separate sinks but there is no size that when doubled will fit in the space either.

In normal times this would be no problem, my brother lives in London and used to drive back and forth several times a year and my other brother who lives me used to regularly go to Newry but Covid!

It's not something I'd be comfortable getting shipped by anyone except seller, as they're easily damaged and bent out of shape if not handled correctly, especially in the size you're getting.

If the seller won't ship to Ireland, then they won't be completing all the customs declarations so a courier won't have anything to work with.

What is the width of your base unit, and overall width you can fit? I can try have a look in catalogues I can get my hands on.

Yes I agree with you about getting it shipped by seller but they won't send it to here, only to Northern Ireland. I have thought that myself too that it needs careful handling, ideally I'd drive to Newry for it myself if we could travel!

As for size I have attached very rough sketch, sink is to be in short bit of L shape, wall to left so it can't go any further that way, needs to be 55cm beneath left bowl to wall to allow for slimline dishwasher. Sink I want is 1500mm long and even at that it is going to overlap as such into the right hand long side of L shape but that is doable as it's not too far. Even at that kitchen guy says the right hand bowl will limit him as to what sort of corner unit he can put in as some of the fancier type won't fit and I will probably have the bog standard old carousel type, this doesn't matter to me much.

The sink I am looking at is 1500x480, the only similar one I have seen here available is 1800x510 so just would go too far to right hand corner.

Attachments

• sink sketch.jpg
    sink sketch.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:
For a corner unit, instead of carousel I went with something like this, you can different styles/ sizes, but much more usable storage than traditional ones:

I'll have a look for sinks if I get time later. Yes, plenty of 1800mm ones.

You're going with full double sink and a dishwasher?

Yes I want the sink and dishwasher, realistically I will hardly ever use the dishwasher other than for big family dinners sort of thing but I use the sink for a lot for things I need to use again almost immediately where a dishwasher is useless to me, it's complicated! :)

I have no intentions of selling my house at the moment but you never know the way life changes so I feel it must have an option for a dishwasher in the kitchen just in case so am putting it in as part of re-do. Plus when I have family staying I spend my time washing up so it will be used in those scenarios too.

Back