Any stats for this referendum? Just the fact ma'am, just the

F

fish

Any one got any figures for 2003 for:

No. of babies born in the State.
No. of babies born in the State to non EU citizens.

No. of babies born in the State to Irish single mothers.
No. of babies born in the State to non EU citizen single mothers.

I don't have facts and would like to start with these.
Just want numbers not opines, rants and tirades, ta.

fish

Oppurtunities for opines, rants and tirades are on my other post ta. :)

re: Stats

Total Births outside Marriage for 2003: 19,313

again from CSO. Need numbers for the other two tho'
Any helpers.

Re: Any stats for this referendum? Just the fact ma'am, just

Some of the posts on the [broken link removed] about the referendum had some interesting stats.

single vs unmarried

There's a big difference between Single Mothers and Unmarried Mothers. Most babies born to 'single' mothers are actually born into a stable if unmarried relationship.

I think Cherish - who deal with 'unmarried' mothers - might have stats on it.

Reason for Referendum

The degree of "citizenship tourism" is not the reason for this referendum.

There was the "X court case" in the mid-90s which if memory serves me correctly concerned *one* pregnant 14 year old's right to travel to Britain for an abortion and which subsequently was the casue of a referendum. So in other words the rationale behind the referendum should be on the basis of what is correct rather than on whether large numbers of people are exploiting a loophole in the constitution.

The question is do you agree that

"people born in the island of Ireland after the constitutional amendment takes effect will not have a constitutional right to be Irish citizens, unless, at the time of their birth, one of their parents is an Irish citizen or is entitled to be an Irish citizen. " [www.refcom.ie]

if so, vote 'yes' otherwise vote 'no'. Voting 'no' means "every person born in the island of Ireland is entitled to citizenship. If the proposal is passed the Oireachtas will have the power to change the existing legislation if it so wishes but it could not make a change that would affect the constitutional right of citizenship of the child of an Irish citizen parent where that child is born in the island of Ireland" .... regardless of whether there are even any cases of non-citizens coming to Ireland late in pregnancy to obtain citizenship for their children.

Back