Any rough calculation for 'real world' mpg figures?

Caveat

Am looking at the official combined mpg figures for various cars and I realise that they are highly unlikely to translate into every day driving but in general, allowing for fairly sensible driving (e.g. not braking heavily all the time, selecting the correct gear etc etc) is there a percentage I can subtract from the 'official' figures to provide a more realistic mpg for everyday driving?

I have found with most cars I have purchased that the published combined figure is not far off what I've got in reality for my driving requirements. 15k-20k per year. 20mile commute each way.

Thanks leex - I'm a little surprised though.

I had always felt that the general consensus was that the published figures were highly optimistic.

Normally they publish 3 figures: urban, long range and mixed. I've bought 3 cars from new in recent years - Astra 1.4, Focus 1.4 and Primera 1.6 and the mixed figure is generally very near to what I get when checking mpg after I fill, empty tank and fill again. I may be lucky.

Driving patterns will influence what you get. In my case my mix of driving is mixed enough to coincide with manufacturers.

I looked at toyota.ie site there for a random sample. New Corolla 1.4 is supposed to do around 42mpg mixed. A friend has a new one and that's similar to what they report themselves - similar driving to myself.

I can't comment on how accurate the urban or extra urban figures are.

The official figures are fairly accurate, well on my car they are. My car states combined of 48mpg, I average between 42-50mpg, depending on where I am driving.For an average mpg, use the combined figure quoted.

A little of topic - but does anyone know any resonably priced cars with an excelent MPG?
My thinking would be the VW golf 1.9 TDi would be fairly well up there?

VAG tdi's have traditionally been good. Some other diesels are surprisingly poor.

Back