Any point trying getting permission?

Parazard2

I am looking to knock down a galley kitchen and build a bigger single storey extension at the back of my terraced house. There is a small yard at the back, currently around 30m2.
The extension would be about 15m2 in total, but we are now thinking of pushing it out by 1m or so, which would add about 5m2 to the extension. The problem in doing so would be that we would be left with about 20m2 of yard, so less than the 25m2 that would avoid needing planning permission. I thought I could just apply and get planning permission the, but a builder told me I would not get it because it would leave less than the required 25m2. Can anybody help me make sense of this and help me figure out what I need to do next?
Not working with an architect, just have professional sketches.

You could arrange a pre-planning meeting with your local authority to see how receptive they might be to the idea. Are there any examples locally where others have done as you are proposing?

I am looking to knock down a galley kitchen and build a bigger single storey extension at the back of my terraced house. There is a small yard at the back, currently around 30m2.
The extension would be about 15m2 in total, but we are now thinking of pushing it out by 1m or so, which would add about 5m2 to the extension. The problem in doing so would be that we would be left with about 20m2 of yard, so less than the 25m2 that would avoid needing planning permission. I thought I could just apply and get planning permission the, but a builder told me I would not get it because it would leave less than the required 25m2. Can anybody help me make sense of this and help me figure out what I need to do next?
Not working with an architect, just have professional sketches.

yes, subject to planning it should be grand.
live gotten permission for these types of extension in Dublin, particularly in the city where gardens as original were very close to 25 Sq. m.
I done one recently that the garden was left with only 12 square m from memory.
where are you based?

the builder most likely told you not to go bigger so he can start straight away and start earning money :)

Reactions: Leo
Back