Any plumbers out there? Looking for some advice on my central heating.

kevsy

I'm looking for some advice on my central heating.

I had a new combi boiler put in 5 years ago.

Once installed I had the system flushed.

Has caused lots of bother, always breaking down, cost me a fair few quid over the years.

After 3 years I had to replace 7 radiators as they all started to leak over a period of a couple of months.

Once replaced I had the system power flushed. 12 months on and 2 of the rads have started to leak again!

What can I do? Surely I can't keep flushing the system and replacing all the rads every five minutes?

I'm at my wits end over this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Any plumbers out there????

Hi Kevsy,
I`m not a plumber but I have put in new radiators and fixed numerous plumbing problems over the years.

Where exactly are the leaks coming from?

The radiators themselves certainly shouldn't be leaking unless you are running acid through them!

I expect that the leaks are from the valve connection which should normally be sorted out by a slight tightening of the joints.

Re: Any plumbers out there????

It's the rads themselves leaking all right. There are small holes in the bottom of both.

Since you have a combi boiler, there is a good chance you have a sealed system, is this correct? or do you have a small tank in attic that feeds water into rads?

Do you know how it is filled, I.E an automatic filling valve or a filling loop? Do you have to top up pressure often?

There is a valve to add water. I have had to add water to keep the pressure topped up.

How often? sounds like you have a leak and fresh water is constantly being introduced into system. this will rot the steel of the rads.

Often enough to be honest. How would I find a leak? Is it floor boards up time???

two story house? if leak was on first floor, you would see wet patch in ceiling. Most likely on ground floor under concrete. Look outside, on the wall that the boiler is on, you should see a i/2 inch pipe sticking out. This is connected to a safety valve, they sometimes let by, you will see dripping water from this pipe if this is the case.

How much does it drop over 24 hours?

There is a pipe sticking out the otherside of the kitchen wall which is leaking. Pressure drops slowly over time. Nothing major.

AsAAAs Davy points out. Doesn't take anything major just you adding
fresh water all the time which will be oxeginated and corrosive
As the pipe outside is dripping ur prv in the boiler needs replacing and
your expansion vessel pressure needs checking

after a good dose of in hibitor needs to be added to reduce corrossion

what color is the water out of your rads?
Clear is ok
black is slow corrossion
red is rapid corrossion

And one other point I would add to the good advice given already

Find a new plumber! The one you are using now is taking the mick if he has not checked this and has changed 9 rads in 5 years!

Gtec

Thanks for the advice. Got two plumbers round and both said pressure valve. The original plumber was a clown!!!

Back