Any planners - Ribbon development?

MsGinger

I have recently purchased a site, subject to planning. At the moment there are 3 sites to the left of our site with FPP and one to the right awaiting a decision. My engineer tells me that there could be a problem with ribbon development, as the most houses the planners usually allow in a line in an area such as this would be four. Does anyone know if the fact that we are in an infill site would be any help in getting planning?
Thanks,
Ginger

Re: Any planners - Ribbon devlopment?

zoning (a3 or b6 or c99) and precedent has something to do with it, its a bigger problem being last than being in between

depends on the county, zoning, capriciousness of planners, housing need, aesthetics

Thanks 2pack, I've also just found out that if the site site to our right (put in for planning by the farmer's daughter from whom we are purchasing the site) gets planning might require the farmer to sign something agreeing not to develop any more of his land (section 47 something or other?). I guess we will have to play a waiting game.....

His land may become sanitised by agreement and/or as part of a grant of permission or else his land may be arbitrarily sanitised by the planners and they will not tell you that they are operating a hidden sanitisation policy on it.

If it is a binding condition it should be written somewhere and the planners should tell you if it applies in a formal preplanning meeting where you also set roof height max and overall size criteria .

Galway has gone very bad on hidden sanitisation in some areas . I know of a case where daughter of farmer applied and was kicked back because the planners told her (true) that her father had sold 6 sites over the years.....except that he would not had he known there was a lifetime quota and the policy was not in the area or county development plans or in statute law, because they simply made it up :( .

In another area they have applied a lifetime limit of 4 post facto (Oughterard IIRC ) or are attempting to in some way and in other areas you could sell what you wanted no bother . It would be absolutely fine if they fully disclosed this policy , agreed it with their councillors, and then operated it in a fair and transparent manner but hey this IS Galway :eek:

Hi

I was knocked on planning on two sites because of ribbon development. This was highlighted in the pre-planning meeting. Location : County Waterford.

Just spoke to the engineer again, who has been on to the planning office. The farmer's daughter has got her planning okay but the planner told our engineer that we would be wasting our money and everyone's time if we apply as no more houses will be approved for the area.

Back to the drawing board I guess.....

Back