Any Opinions on Portlaoise

shipibo

Am looking to buy in Portlaoise , to rent out. has anybody done same, what are your experiences, anybody think its a good / bad idea.......

Portlaoise is grand. It is very handy for commuting to Dublin, great train service etc. It has a cinema, leisure centres and is okay for shopping. Have you thought about what area you're looking in?? There are plenty of new developments going on if it's new you're after. As for rent, I know people paying between €650 and €700 for houses there.

Nice One Ribena,

Have,nt got that far yet, need to go down and check out the lay of the land .... , any suggestions ???

Anywhere on the Dublin Rd side is fine. The far side of town can be a bit rougher, if you know what I mean.

Graffiti on a train summed up Portlaoise pretty well imo " Please do not flush the toilet when the train is stationary.....except at Portlaosie."
The first few buildings you see on the way in from Dublin are the prison and a mental hospital - sets the tone of the place imo. A brother of mine lives there and hates it. I have visited it several times and never liked it either.

Reggie said:
Anywhere on the Dublin Rd side is fine. The far side of town can be a bit rougher, if you know what I mean.

What would constitute the far side of town???

Are you looking to rent it or live there?Lots of new developments-the Mountmellick (far)side of town has the fair green development,a friend of mine just bought a 3Bed Semi with all Zanussi Kitchen appliances,wooden floors and carpet included for 191K.He's moving down from Tallaght as he wants to buy before prices go beyond him.I see the criticism of the Jail and the Hospital but for Rental purposes this is what you want -secure jobs,plus you have the Department of Agriculture.Personally I've lived here for 2 years and I left Dublin so I could find some community spirit,which there is loads.Schools are good.Shopping is a let down,but the new white water development is only 30 Mins away in Newbridge.Motorway is excellent and when Kill and Johnstown are bypassed this Feb,Portlaoise to Red Cow will only take 45 Mins.Dublin Road side property has a better name but you'll pay a little extra.Kilminchy is the largest development on that side.Get the local paper Lenister express-see what rents you get.The Heritage golf Club(40K a year membership) is only 7 miles away.But hey it's your money,check it out for yourself-hope this helps.

I hate to see people dissin' my hometown- if you wanted to know what's in Portlaoise you should have asked me!:D Among it's numerous attractions Portlaoise has one of the finest Arts Centres in the country (Dunamaise) which is established on the national theatre circuit and features a film club and art exhibitions throughout the year. The Heritage Hotel is a fine 4 star hotel and leisure centre located quite near the Arts Centre. Next door to the Hotel is "Sky Venue" a new live music venue which features many big names (BelX1 etc.). Also nearby is a Multiplex cinema and mainline rail station. Shopping in the town isn't fantastic but we do have a Tescos, Lidl and Dunnes Stores. There are two big hardware/ builder's merchants and several floor/ tiling centres, plus electrical appliance/ homestore. There are lots of boutiques, hair and beauty salons, shoe shops and homeware stores. There's a "Roll and Bowl" centre, GAA club, snooker club, swimming pool,public library and town park. There are some good restaurants including Indian, italian and european cuisine (as well as lots of chinese restaurants also!) A new Parish centre has just been opened and a new hotel is under construction about 5 mins drive from the town centre. A new community School is also currently under construction , due for completion Sept. 2006. There's lots more but that's what immediately comes to mind...

I was going to buy in Portlaoise last year to live but didn't. I still might do it in the next 12 months for renting purposes. If I was living there I would prefer Abbeyleix Road side of town to Mountmellick Road where the Fairgreen is situate. However afaik, there is going to be a little village of some sort going up at the Fairgreen to include boutiques etc. Don't know much about it. I have to say it's a mad crazy town at lunchtime and after 5 to get out to the Dublin Road but if you were renting out your house, Kilminchy would be a good place to buy (on the Dublin Road), it has it's own pub which is really nice, chemist, chinese etc. There's also another new estate on the way out the Dublin Road called Maryborough Crescent. Houses are very reasonable. I know Hume Auctioneers are looking after that estate but don't have their number to hand. As Carpenter pointed out, great theatre, new cinema, great restaurants (indian being my fav) but the shopping is a bit of a let down. Great if you're new to the town but you get sick of it after a while. Most people I know living there head to Newbridge or Liffey Valley shopping. It's no distance with the motorway.

I am about to pay a deposit on a house in Kilminchy, Portlaoise doesnt seem like a bad little town!

Am hoping to rent out a room or 2 once i move in, anyone know what the rental market is like in portlaoise?

I would say the rental market is reaching saturation point in Portlaoise, with a few hundred houses having been added to the stock this year alone.

Hi,

Just having a look at the Esker Hills new housing development for investment purposes. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated in terms of location, value etc..( 3 bed detached 280k)

Thanks

Back