Any one know the "social welfare system"?

Nat

This is the situation. Me - mum of two, working part time as employee (15hrs). I have just been offered work as a book-keeper (working from home) but am afraid to register for tax - the reason being is that my husband is registered as a self employed plasterer, and is also signing on (social welfare) on the weeks he has no work.

What happens if I register for tax, does he lose his entitlement to sign on, because I supposedly earn more, (unfortunately its not that signifigant):(

I don't want to receive cheques and get caught for a large tax bill - as we barley make ends meet as it is.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Nat

Nat,
Does he sign-on for U. Benefit or U. Assistance. If UB, then the only change is he will lose the Adult Dep. Rate on his claim - it's possible he is not gettig this for you anyway as you are already working. If you are working and Registered for PRSI to get "stamps" then you are already registered for tax. It's possible you are not getting taxed due to your income below certain limits.

If doing Self employed work as well as PAYE then you complete a Self-Assessment TAx form to record your earnings.

If your household income is low it may be possible to qualify for Family Income Supplement (FIS). Your weekly hours in employment would have to be 19 hours.

Check website welfare.ie and look up Families and Children then Family Income Supplement.
Contact your local Citizens' Information Centre, MABS or the INOU (Irish National Organisation for the Unemployed) they will do calculations for you to check your best options and you don't have to be unemployed to avail of their service.

Just a quick point Nat, if you are both self employed then you won't qualify for FIS. I suggest visiting your local CIC where they might be able you work out your entitlements and compare.

Back