Any good things to do during lockdown

Ah - unless WolfeTone does a bit of a Marc on it, I'm not sure who amongst us will bite on that one!?

Ulysses
War and Peace
The Bible

That reminds me I have an audio version of Ulysses I must try... my initial teenaged attempt at reading Ulysses failed even though I was in a remote location with no TV or internet for 2 weeks.

The recent BBC version of War and Peace will have to suffice :)

This will be great experience for 20 years time when we’re all driving electric vehicles and the ESB go on strike for a week.

Is it just me who has no additional free time since the lockdown was announced ?

I am able to work from home, so the morning routine still involves getting washed, dressed and being 'at work' from 8:30. Not having to get the DART is a blessing, but the dog still starts barking at 6:30 so there's no lie-in.

Once I clock off, there's family dinner, walk the dogs, supermarket shopping, go for the occasional run, laundry and eventually sit down for the 9 o'clock RTE News.

When 'at work', I have RTE on in the background. Ryan Tubridy & Sean O'Rourke would have you believe that everyone is working out to Joe Wicks, baking sourdough and watching Tiger King.

I'm fortunate to be still able to work, that my family have avoided the virus and that the sun is shining.

When I get cabin fever really bad I allow myself a small bit of escapism.
A webcam overlooking the tiny harbour of Gaois on the Greek island of Paxos.
It's deserted now, of course, but a wonderful location where we have spent many happy holidays over the years.
Idling away the hours with a glass of cold beer and a bowl of pistachio nuts.
One of our favourite places which I doubt we'll see again until 2021 at the earliest.

There will be some sort of Eurovision event on Saturday 16th... even covid-19 can't stop it... not one to be watched without a drink in hand I think.

During the programme, all 41 songs that had been chosen to take part in the Eurovision Song Contest 2020 will be honoured in a non-competitive format. Participants from the past will also be invited to make an appearance. Together, the artists will perform "Love Shine a Light" from their respective home countries.[5] Clips of Eurovision fans singing along to "What's Another Year" by Johnny Logan, which won the Eurovision Song Contest 1980 in The Hague, will be shown as well

So even if you don't like Eurovision, check out this phenomenal performance from the Italian entry, belted out in an empty illuminated amphitheatre ...
pretty sure this would have been the winner:

Is it just me who has no additional free time since the lockdown was announced ?

I am able to work from home, so the morning routine still involves getting washed, dressed and being 'at work' from 8:30. Not having to get the DART is a blessing, but the dog still starts barking at 6:30 so there's no lie-in.

Once I clock off, there's family dinner, walk the dogs, supermarket shopping, go for the occasional run, laundry and eventually sit down for the 9 o'clock RTE News.

When 'at work', I have RTE on in the background. Ryan Tubridy & Sean O'Rourke would have you believe that everyone is working out to Joe Wicks, baking sourdough and watching Tiger King.

I'm fortunate to be still able to work, that my family have avoided the virus and that the sun is shining.

Similar. I'm saving the commute time but work load is busier than ever so I'm kinda working my evening commute time. I'm probably sleeping a bit better with the later start from home.

I'm eating a little better as there no getting lunch out of trying to fit something in between work and training.

But ya I'm almost feeling guilty I'm not learning a new language or something. Then I remind myself I'm still working full time.

While we might all be in it together we are all having very different experience to each other.

Did anyone visit Arenal in Majorca back in the early years of holiday travel. This thread on Tripadvisor is looking for information, comments, memories of that time. There are references to Facebook pages etc. The thread is running for 9 years now and it might bring back some memories to some people. Something to while away the dark evenings.....a page at a time.

The Duke's suggestions are a little low-brow for me but each to his own, I suppose

Have a look at The Murder of Mr Moonlight by Catherine Fegan. Excellent insight well told in book form into the whole story of a rural murder in Co Tipperary.

L Mulligan Grocers & Whiskey Shop will be running a Zoom based Burns Night Supper on Saturday 23rd January.
Click & Collect and Dublin delivery available for €50 - €55.

Yes, haggis is on the 3 course menu with matching drinks... and bagpipes:
[broken link removed]

Wines of the World will be running a virtual wine tasting for Valentine's weekend. €80 for 6 bottles, delivery nationwide.

[broken link removed]

Even though I'm still working and not too locked down i'm thinking of obtaining a Jew's harp and experimenting with making beautiful music.

Back