Any good things to do during lockdown

elacsaplau

Just wondering what ways people have found to use this weird time effectively.
Obviously, stuff like gardening, DIY, etc. are options - anything else?

Going to the (virtual) pub. myself and two friends always met up on Thursday nights for an hour or so. A friend from Spain used to come too, if he was back in Ireland. A friend who moved Dublin was never there.
We have set up a Zoom conference for Thursday nights, and the 5 of us have a grand chat, and the drink is cheap.

Actually seeing each other makes a big difference to chats. It would not be the same with just voice. I'm very impressed by the Zoom software, it's free and displays the person talking full-screen, with the others in smaller windows. If you have anyone in your family/group that could benefit from a chat and a friendly face, give it a go. It works on windows, and smartphone.

(The usual, not affiliated, don't play one on TV etc. disclaimer).

Get fit(ter) - even just to move more.. some of us lead inactive lives, so this is an opportunity to do more exercise, to help keep the body and especially the head, going.

Part of the kids "school work" that I get sent from the teachers, is for specific 15 min work outs each day. They do such in the school classroom each day. Burns off their excess energy (well some of it!!) - all on line videos. I'm trying to get involved for their 15mins workout, be part of the daily routine while we are all stuck inside.

Maybe read more books, cook / bake something you haven't had time to do in the past? Do something different from your "normal" and even if you fail at it - try it again...

Main thing, it to just take a deep breath and keep the head clear...

Upgraded my bike, into an Orbea now and apart from breaking in a certain part of the anotomy I find it absolutely fantastic. The roads are quieter, very few people about, the weather in general has been very good and thank God I've the health to enjoy it.

reading obviously. Not sure if you can join your library online but if you can, there are 2 great free apps, Borrowbox allows you to download free audio books and there is a free magazine one as well whose name escapes me

Lots of online courses available. A good walk daily for your sanity.

I'm also ringing up the friends I;ve meant to ring for ages and not got around to

reading obviously. Not sure if you can join your library online but if you can, there are 2 great free apps, Borrowbox allows you to download free audio books and there is a free magazine one as well whose name escapes me

Pressreader is the newspaper/magazine app - loads of stuff on it (including all the INM titles and the Examiner, but not the IT) and all free thanks to the Library Service.

We have a virtual coffee break every day at work and it's a good way just to chat with the team. No work stuff.
More reading too - bought a Kindle and it's great. Daily deals on Amazon for 99p
Walks in the evening time too
Re COVID....I'll watch the news headlines for anything important, but really there's just too much noise out there IMO

Garden, batch cook, clear cupboards, do admin left on the long finger (reclaim med expenses from health insurance, revenue), review your utilities, mortgage, credit cards etc. Revise your budget in light of changed circumstances. Catch up on CPD.

Thanks for all the suggestions! Much appreciated.

Any good podcast recommendations?
Current Netflix movies/series?
Online courses platforms?

Any good podcast recommendations?
Online courses platforms?

On Podcasts, it depends what you like. For general tech I like Pivot - Scott Gallaway and Kara Swisher. For Finance?markets, I like Animal Spirits by Michael Batnick and Ben Carlson. Vergecast is another tech podcasts that covers everything. If you are looking for a App, I find Stitcher on Android very good.

LinkedIn Learning is quite good, it has 10,000 courses on every topic.

Online Course

Good call!

Let's not forget, you can do courses on just about anything that you can think of, online.

Get a professional qualification, learn a new language or how to play an instrument....

I raided the attic a couple of weeks ago - liberated my Rory Gallagher, Planxty, Cream, Eric Clapton, Otis Redding, Beatles, Rolling Stones and some more CD's. After two days of continuous music, Mrs Lep liberated her Daniel O'Donnel and Womans' Heart Brigade CD's. Thank God for earphones.

I've been training hard on bike turbo and treadmill .
Playing board games with the kids .
Did tax return .
Started learning a new language (Russian)
Got guitar out again .
Cleaned my man cave .
Cleaned garden up .
Baked some cakes with kids .
A parent organized a zoom call with kids from school so we did that and then organized it for older kids.
Lots of outdoor biking around the 2k zone with me pulling kid trailer .

I'm fine I'd happily entertain myself I find kids miss there friends and hobbies , we kinda split it up wife will do something with them then I'll go on bike turbo for an hour and vice versa just gives us that bit of alone time to stay sane .

Hopped on the bike this morning with a big 2km logo along with a smiley face on the back of my jersey and did a 2km spin up my road then back again for 4kms but kept going in the opposite direction for 2 more kms, a bye road on way back (both ways) kept me on the 2km loop and got me up to 9.5 km distance. Then I simply did it again and finished in 47 minutes for 19 kms. Walking it you would think there was minimal wind but it was 30kph but a lovely day. Very seldom do I travel those roads, traffic was minimal so a person can get great exercise with a bit of ingenuity. Enjoyed it too and i'm an ouldish fella. So people, no excuses :cool:

I wish they had specified what they mean with "brief" in "brief individual personal exercise within 2km of your own home": 10 minutes? 47 minutes? 2 hours?
Indeed, but I did stay within a 2km distance of my house. 10 minutes would hardly do much for anyone and do remember some people have very dear pets that need exercise as well. I personally have no issue with the new rules and imagine an hour or 2 of walking, running, cycling, will be good for everyone's physical health as well as their mental health.

Back