Any advice how I can cut costs

I hear what your saying FioBi but by cutting back in the food for a while they will be able to lump that extra off the loans. It's about where they can free up money in order to clear the loans, that's what I see anyway,
Trafford you and I shop alike ;-)

That's expensive for 4 people. Special offers as niceoneted said allow to stock up on essentials, again I agree I only buy specials I'll use but I do allow the supermarket to dictate what to buy since this is how I keep the food bill good value! With regard to school lunches yes most people like variety, but within reasonable cost. Your posts make me think you can well afford the €240 a week as if you couldn't then you could definitely cut it down. I really think food has come down since the recession to be honest. Aldi are great (esp fruit and veg and meat) even Tesco have good specials. You don't have to be spending the same amount as before.
Thks guys for all the tips,, some weeks we can afford 200 - 240e and others we cant. just have to pick up the anti and improve the shopping skills.. im just fed up of going from one shop to the next to save a few bob, i know it has to be done. The only thing i can say though about some of the supermarket deals, a lot of them are for high fat foods, pizza's ice-creams etc that i try to avoid for the kids sake.

Its all well and good spending 70 or 80 a week on food when its two adults to feed. Kids and teenagers won't always eat fresh fish and rice or what have you. Therefore there has to be other things bought for them. I would live on less than that if it was only the 2 of us. Its very different when you are feeding kids as well. I would prefer to clear the car loan first and then increase the repayment of the CU when that is finished. TBH I doubt the CU would do that anyway. But thanks for the advice FioBi.

No offence but what?
I'm not into cooking 2 dinners some days so I get things that we will all eat, and sometimes that doesn't mean the cheapest foods.
Whats the point fraggle?

Thks guys for all the tips,, some weeks we can afford 200 - 240e and others we cant. just have to pick up the anti and improve the shopping skills.. im just fed up of going from one shop to the next to save a few bob, i know it has to be done. The only thing i can say though about some of the supermarket deals, a lot of them are for high fat foods, pizza's ice-creams etc that i try to avoid for the kids sake.

Good luck with it suemoo :) It does take time to visit 2 supermarkets instead of 1 (I do Aldi and Tesco) but I find bringing a list makes the shop quicker because I don't just look at every shelf / aisle. I go in and just pick the things I needed in there. I agree about the supermarket deals (just finished a half price tub of icecream lastnight that I could do without!) but some are worth planning meals around - like 3 meats for €10 offer in Tesco (eg get mince, chops, stewing beef or chicken....), add the potato / veg / rice rice cost and it might not work out too dear for 3 nights dinner. You'll get into the hang of it when you're in the right shopping mindset. I'm not as good as the other posters who buy yearly bags of beans and rice but I find I'm getting savvier.

No offence but what?
I'm not into cooking 2 dinners some days so I get things that we will all eat, and sometimes that doesn't mean the cheapest foods.
Whats the point fraggle?

When I think back to when I was a teenager I remember turning my nose up at many a nice dinner my Mum made and raiding the freezer for something unhealthy instead so I totally understand your point doubledeb. It's a challenge to cook something to suit everyone and stay within a budget but hopefully you will get the weekly shop costs down by following some of the very good points made in posts here.

Thankfully I don't put any unhealthy things in the freezer that they can get at. Couple of packets of biscuits in the cupboard alright (more for me than them:eek:). I have more of a 'if you don't eat it go hungry type attitude'. (teenager is the worst). Therefore I will try and do something we all like and still try and keep the costs low.
I do appreciate all the advice here.... thanks guys

Back