ants & tenant rights

L

lazyboy

ants & tenant rights

there's an invasion of Pharoah ants in our apartment block, all I can think about is the little things. is there any comback as a tenant under a lease against living in an apartment that seems to be festooned with the things. i'm even dreaming about the little critters. its highly uncomfortable to live with, they seem to find their way everywhere and we cant even leave food out to defrost as they go for that also. can i ask for a deduction in rent or get my lease quashed. What is the best way to go about dealing with the landord, whi is aware of the problem but not aware of how its affecting our minds and our everyday life.

Contact Threshold and see what your rights are in this situation.

As a starting point make sure you've informed your landlord of the problem in writing and keep copies of correspondence.

Check if other tenants are experiencing the same problems too.

Hi lazyboy

I have come across a few cases of massive invasions of ants this summer. I don't know if there is some seasonal issue. The problem will just go away in time.

Your landlord may not be able to do anything about it. He may get expensive pest controllers in, but the ants will be departing naturally anyway. It's not like a rat infestation.

Check with one of the pest control companies. Their websites may have useful information.

Given your unpleasant experience, it's probably too late to suggest that you might read up a bit about them and get genuine pleasure from watching their antics. I got worried about a wasp's nest in my shed, but was advised to sit quietly in the shed and watch them. It was great advice.

Brendan

I'm worried about Brendan

Just a supplementary, Brendan, do you talk to these pests?

ants & tenant rights

> I have come across a few cases of massive invasions of ants this summer. I don't know if there is some seasonal issue.

I've heard anecdotal reports that this year has been a bumper one for ants and other creepy crawlies. I think that the time for winged ants to take flight en masse has recently passed. RTE's wildlife programme also mentioned this on Saturday.

What if the ants ring Threshold and check out THEIR rights?

Re: I'm worried about Brendan

Shrink asked

Just a supplementary, Brendan, do you talk to these pests?

Hi Shrink

I don't regard Lazyboy as a pest. It was a reasonable question and I tried to offer him some advice.

Brendan

Very Funny!

Brendan,

I believe Shrink may have been commenting on your sitting in the shed watching wasps and not lazyboys question :)

Sarcasm

Alpha, I think B was answering my sarcasm in kind.

"When first one endeavours to be sarcastic,
Things oft become quite fantastic"

Though on a serious note I do know that B has a weakness for all this wildlife stuff - I would hate to see him finish up like Prince Charles.

Lazyboy, we have had a bit of an ant infestation in the office where I work - unfortunately I find myself working from a portacabin most of the time, moving from site to site and portacabins don't offer much security from ants, wasps and the like. We have already got pest control in to try and solve the problem but the ants kept reappearing a few days later :( By far the best 'passive' solution is to ensure that no food is left out, especially sweet or sugary things, apples included. Put anything like that away in cupboards or in the fridge. Empty your kitchen bin every day or at least keep it covered. If you need to defrost food, move it to the fridge in the morning and it will be defrosted by the time you get home. Hope this helps!

J.

Back