Antique Engagement Ring

Status
Not open for further replies.

lexus

Hi all,

wewent shopping yesterday for first time for an engagement ring, I am absolutely mad about an antique diamond ring in Grays off grafton street, its 100 years old and fab i just love it. one thing im worried about it though, she was saying it isnt certified...

she said none of the older rings are certified as it only came out in the last few decades. i dont know if this is true though as another ring I tried on in another jewellers (about 50 years old) was certified

im just wondering so how do i know if the colour / clarity etc is right or if theyre overcharging us?

Any advise would be great, thanks in advance

antique one cannot possibly be 'certificated'.

You should be able to pick up antique one at well below 'valuation' price.

To find out if clarity/colour/carat/cut (the 4 c's) is right, how about buyig the ring, but doing a deal with seler, that if the intended receipient is nto happy with it, a FULL refund wil lbe given.

that gives you time to get it appraised in another jewellers.

If you are then happy, SHE has accepted, if you are not happy with valuation and appraisal, SHE is not happy, and you get the full refund.,

Ravima thanks for the reply

i was wondering can you just get a ring certified yourself? I will call in today and try to go down the road of the refund.

ps I am the 'she'!

Thanks again, any other advise would be welcome..

CERTIFIED means that it does not come from an unreputable source. It cannot be possible to certify the antique diamond as it is not possible at this stage to say in what country the stone was mined.

good luck with the wedding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In my opinion, "certified" doesn't mean it comes from reputable dealers. It means that the stone has been checked (as Ravima said against the 4Cs, which is a mix of absolute measures like the weight, and relative measures like the color). HRD being the main lab in europe for certification

AFAIK, it is possible to certified any gems. But the stone needs to be loose (e.g. no set on ring), send to a lab and will come back with a 4Cs cert in sealed box..
It is very very unlikely that the dealer will accept to do that anyway...

many thanks for all the replies, to be honest i have done a bit of checking around on the web and it seems antique rings can be certified. i have found a store on line which seems to do a very reputable business and offers rings for a much more reasonable price than in dublin, the cost of returning the ring is approx 120euros so you are not stuck with the ring should it turn out you dont like it.

This is the link in case your interested, any opinions or advise would be welcome

http://www.faycullen.com/

i got my engagement ring in grays and am still delighted with it 8 years later. i never thought to get it certified. if you like it, isn't it enough?

hiya pernickety

thanks for that, i know your right but i just wanted to make sure that i wasnt paying over the odds for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back