anti social neighbours

therave

Hi ,
i would appreciate any help on this issue.i can't find a definitive answer on here and would like opinions and comments if possible.
the story is. we have a neighbour who is a tenant with a PRTB registered landlord.
i need to contact the landlord and would like to go through the PRTB so that it is all offical.i have tried talking to the tenant but they are free spirits and believe all is cool.

to list a few issues,they have a son,he's constantly in my garden getting his ball etc,he attracts a crowd of 12 to 14 year olds who are outside the house ,i know being kids ,but making noise and being a general nuisance ,i have many elderly neighbours and i like a bit of peace and quiet myself.
when the tenants are away the gang still congregates and when asked to move on they move into the tenants garden and say they have permission from the tenant to be there..in wnter this can be up to 10pm at night.. i dread to think what time it will be when schools out....
he has parties now and then and that's ok but a few months ago one of the kids at the party entered my driveway and damaged my car,ie put a firework into the gap between the boot and body of the car.the gardai called and tenant assured them that they would sort it out and make good to me for the damage. when i approached them they said it would be sorted by talking to the son and his friends but all would be cool.
the outside of the house is filthy and untidy and the comings and goings are incredible at un-sociable hours not to mention the people staying overnight.and the tenants friends leaving their cars (old bangers) outside the house while they go on holidays for up to a month at a time.

if anybody had an experience like this or disagrees with me then please comment as it would be much appreciated

theres a device called "mosquito " which was in the news recentley which deteres teenagers from hanging arround within a certin distance from the device,get one and turn it on when the gangs arrive ,keep it hidden so as not to give them a reason to have a go at you.its only audable for teens ,adults cant hear it . might do the job.

thanks for the info ,much appreciated but i believe that there has been issues with these devices in the paul street area of Cork and can have adverse affects on kids with Autism and does have an affect on adults,causing pains in the head.

Theres one of those Mosquitos otuside our local EuroSpar and it blows the ears off me when I walk past it...and I'm 30! People always said I've the ears of a teenager! :p

That's a terrible way to have to live. Seeing as talking to the tenant hasn't worked, I'd put it in writing, stating clearly what your grievances are. Then I would send it by Registered Post to him.

He will know you no longer intend putting up with it and are obviously preparing your case by having documentary evidence that you tried to sort it out amicably.

As far as the filth outside the house, this will encourage rats around the area, so I would phone the council straight away and tell them about it as impacts on the environment & your health.They will send someone out straight away to tell them to clean it up.

They will probably know it is you, but I doubt if you are worried about winning a popularity contest. If they step up their aggression towards you, start videoing every confrontation, so that they know you are & are likely to use it for an ASBO.

hi Sueellen.
spoke to 2 community guards,one was only interested in a particular young fella and the other told me to tell them get lost and threaten them with the gardai..
i have no idea who the landlord is so this is why i need to go through the prtb.
out of the 7 houses in our row there are 4 rented. 2 landlords which i know and this other one.
TDON,great suggestion but the tenant is a member of the free love and free spirits world and i would be seen as wasting paper,i kid you not,she stores her empty wine bottles outside the front door and last year a friend accquied an oak tree sapling and planted it in the front garden..i have a contact in the council and i have asked them about the dirt etc and i was told that i need to make an offical com plaint and the council would need to track down the landlord which they most times find it hard to do.. i find that a bit unbeliveable..

I have no idea who the landlord is so this is why i need to go through the prtb.
out of the 7 houses in our row there are 4 rented. 2 landlords which i know and this other one.

If their name does not appear on the PRTB register will they be able to track them down?

There are some previous threads with tips on tracing landlords.

It's not just the Landlord that has a duty, the occupiers have too.

See "Propety Owners/Occupiers" part of the following:

http://www.environ.ie/en/Environment/Waste/LitterPollution/PublicationsDocuments/FileDownLoad,1508,en.pdf

So for that part of the problem you don't have to find the Landlord, they are responsible for it themselves and can be fined.

Likewise, they are not absolved from responsibility of Anti Social behaviour just because they are renting. I'd like to see that defence in any court. "Sorry your Honour but I'm not responsible for blasting music after 11 pm. It's the Landlord's fault, because he rented to us" Uh, I don't think so :rolleyes: .

So, personally, whilst it would be great if you could find the Landlord and give him an earful, at the present moment in time, I would concentrate on getting the issues resolved that effect you.

By law you are entitled to the peace and enjoyment of your own home. Whether he thinks its a waste of paper writing to him, is irrelevant and I don't mean that to sound curt. What's important is that you can show you tried to resolve the matter through documentary evidence. Believe me if you start now, you will be so glad you did.

If the local community Garda will not listen to you, you go over his head and ask to speak to the Super. But before you do, as I said, make sure you have your evidence of a registered letter to the Occupier & your photos. They won't be long about taking you seriously when they realise how serious it is to you, to have gone to that amount of trouble.

See also "Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act, 1994" at the following link:

excellent advice and much appreciated..i must go through this with the Mrs and get writing.

hi Sueellen.
TDON,great suggestion but the tenant is a member of the free love and free spirits world and i would be seen as wasting paper,i kid you not,she stores her empty wine bottles outside the front door..

Its funny but its not, my lovely neighbours and their cretin mates have taken to having parties in their front garden and the ones that can't make the bottles as far as the grey bin smash their empties along the wall between our gardens. I am turning into a right winger by simply being in close proximity to them, but what can you really do when you are unlucky enough to be next door to people like this?

well this one is a right free spirit.sh had somebody cut the grass last week.first time in about a year and then made sure that he did not cut the thistles...
when her son's friend stuck a firework on my car last year she told me to get real and it was only a car.. you have no idea..so when the gardai came to my house i brought them in and closed the door.then she opened the door and was on her way in until i told her get lost and she could tell her side of it later..

These are v difficult to resolve. Especially as a lot of the time its not ina public area- making any garda action virtually impossible.

Back