Anti social behaviour in property rented to the council - What do you do?

OMG_OMG

I have kind of an odd question here. This might be a long one.
I have a property rented to the council on LTL for the last few years, but I cant seem to get an answer from them on this question myself, so its no use asking the council anymore.

The question is that the person next door to me also has their property let to the council and their tenant is being anti-social. And when I say anti-social i really mean it. They are actually knocking on peoples doors at night asking if they have any drugs or spare cash. They are intimidating the neighbors. And they are banging on walls for hours at a time in the middle of the night. Total nightmare by all accounts and all the other people living there are actually scared of them, with some afraid to leave their apartments.

Anyway the owner of that property has been sent warnings by the management company. The gardai have been called numerous times. This has been going on for a year. So she said he is getting no answer, bar "we are looking into it" from the council since the last year. Meanwhile the management company is on her back and its a 25 year lease she has with the council.

So she phoned me and asked me to check with my tenant. But i dont know the tenant in my property and I am LTL with the council.
However I dont want any of my former neighbors going through hell, or whoever is living in my property. Also dont want the area to go downhill because of this.
So I tried to contact the council and got told, none of my business basically.

So the question here is. On LTL when the council puts a nightmare living beside ordinary people to ruin their lives, is there anything that can be done to make them act.
Even the gardai cant seem to do anything here, and the council seem to just let it run for the last year.
The owner of the property has no rights to the property as its been leased. The management company might as well be wasting their time as to asking the owner to do something, because she cant, even though she wants to.

Anyone got any suggestions as to what she can do?
I took a drive down there today and saw them sitting out the front. I parked up about 100 meters away and watched for a while.
People actually walked to the other side of the road as they passed by them. They are very intimidating. And on purpose. They seem to revel in scaring people, but not actually doing anything you could arrest them over if you know what i mean.

Surely the council need to step in here, but how does she get them to act. And she doesnt know what to say to the management company either. They seem to think she can solve this.

I have kind of an odd question here. This might be a long one.
I have a property rented to the council on LTL for the last few years, but I cant seem to get an answer from them on this question myself, so its no use asking the council anymore.

The question is that the person next door to me also has their property let to the council and their tenant is being anti-social. And when I say anti-social i really mean it. They are actually knocking on peoples doors at night asking if they have any drugs or spare cash. They are intimidating the neighbors. And they are banging on walls for hours at a time in the middle of the night. Total nightmare by all accounts and all the other people living there are actually scared of them, with some afraid to leave their apartments.

Anyway the owner of that property has been sent warnings by the management company. The gardai have been called numerous times. This has been going on for a year. So she said he is getting no answer, bar "we are looking into it" from the council since the last year. Meanwhile the management company is on her back and its a 25 year lease she has with the council.

So she phoned me and asked me to check with my tenant. But i dont know the tenant in my property and I am LTL with the council.
However I dont want any of my former neighbors going through hell, or whoever is living in my property. Also dont want the area to go downhill because of this.
So I tried to contact the council and got told, none of my business basically.

So the question here is. On LTL when the council puts a nightmare living beside ordinary people to ruin their lives, is there anything that can be done to make them act.
Even the gardai cant seem to do anything here, and the council seem to just let it run for the last year.
The owner of the property has no rights to the property as its been leased. The management company might as well be wasting their time as to asking the owner to do something, because she cant, even though she wants to.

Anyone got any suggestions as to what she can do?
I took a drive down there today and saw them sitting out the front. I parked up about 100 meters away and watched for a while.
People actually walked to the other side of the road as they passed by them. They are very intimidating. And on purpose. They seem to revel in scaring people, but not actually doing anything you could arrest them over if you know what i mean.

Surely the council need to step in here, but how does she get them to act. And she doesnt know what to say to the management company either. They seem to think she can solve this.

you can take a case to the RTB , its called a " third party complaint "

i realise the tenancy is not registered with the RTB as its let to the state but that does not matter , the people living in your house probably need to take the case , they will be taking the local authority to the RTB and the owner of the house might need to attend court but it will quickly be established that the owner of the property is not the landlord , the landlord is the local authority

the people living next door to where i own a house and have leased to the council had problems two years ago with constant loud music late at night , i told these neighbours ( who work and deserve peace and quiet at night ) to take a case to the RTB and that i would attend a hearing if they wished , i dont know if they ever took a case in the end but i have not heard any complaints in two years

look up the RTB site for third party complaints

the local authority use those long term leases as a dumping ground for problem cases on their books , its the worst kept secret in the country , the council will ignore everyone about these problems bar the RTB who have the power to drag them across the coals , though in fairness to the council , they cant win , evict the delinquent tenants and they have SF local reps on their back or PBP etc , ditto some bleeding heart piece in one of the newspapers or prime time , thats before you consider that the council are obliged to rehouse these delinquent tenants

Thanks Galway.
Did they take the tenants or the council to the RTB?
I have called the guy who owns the house next to me and told him this.
He said everyone in the area is too scared to take these guys to the RTB, so it would be better if it could be the council who are taken to the RTB.
I cant really back him up as i have had no issues myself. And the tenant in my property is a guest of the council.

RTB's complaints procedures deal with private landlords, LAs will not be answerable to them.

i realise the tenancy is not registered with the RTB as its let to the state

I thought all Tenancies irregardless has to be registered with the Rtb.

Its pretty disgusting and a sad state of affairs in that ordinary respectful individuals can have their lives upended by these, what I can only describe as, cowards without a shred of decency. They have no fear of any repercussions from the state for a long period, before they move on to another unsuspecting set of victims.

There should be an easier set of procedures to be enacted when people are faced with issues as mentioned.

I thought all Tenancies irregardless has to be registered with the Rtb.

Its pretty disgusting and a sad state of affairs in that ordinary respectful individuals can have their lives upended by these, what I can only describe as, cowards without a shred of decency. They have no fear of any repercussions from the state for a long period, before they move on to another unsuspecting set of victims.

There should be an easier set of procedures to be enacted when people are faced with issues as mentioned.

no , long term leasing to the council does not require registration with the RTB

Surely "Knocking on peoples doors at night, asking for drugs and cash" is anti social enough for the Gardai to be more involved? Do these people not get warned by the Gardai?

I am very sorry to hear about your very stressful situation. However, the posters who advise that local authority tenancies are not subject to the RTB are correct, local authorities are subject to separate legislation.

If you are living in a city most local authorities have dedicated anti-social behaviour sections and you can make a complaint about one of their tenants to this sections. I know that Cork, Limerick and Dublin City Councils have them and so do Dun Laoighaire Rathdown and South Dublin County Councils.

Rural local authorities are less likely to have a dedicated ASB section but you could just ring the housing department and make a complaint or ring the separate section which deals with the leasing of dwellings .

Also why not make a complaint to the Gardaí? If the person is intimidating neighbours surely this is a matter for the Gardaí?

Sorry to hear about such a stressful situation, had similar a while back.
I don't know what LTL is, but I had a house rented to a HAP tenant through the council. Very serious ASB going on, unfortunately i wasnt aware until something serious happened.
I got in touch with the Gardai who were well aware of my tenant. Obviously GDPR they couldnt get into specifics but they'd been to the house numerous times. Council received complaints of ASB but it seems it's up to the landlord to sort it out. They'll pass on the info alright if someone complains but that's all.
I went with the route of arranging a meeting with tenant. They were expecting eviction so we talked it through and they agreed to leave of own accord, leaving much damage. There
Sold the house since, will never rent again.

You heard wrong.

The RTB has no jurisdiction to resolve these matters.

thanks Sarenco , that means i incorrectly advised my next door neighbours in Limerick two years ago .

" i was told that if persons in house A are having their right to peace and quite undermined by the neighbours in house B that regardless of whether the persons in house B are living under a local authority tenancy , the matter can be pursued through the RTB by way of a third party complaint "

I don't know what LTL is, but I had a house rented to a HAP tenant through the council.
LTL is the Long Term Let scheme where the local authority (LA) rent the house from you for an extended period for social housing use. In those cases the LA become the landlord to whoever they house there, and so responsible for addressing anti-social behaviour issues.

She is talking about selling the place now. But cant because noone would buy it.
She is thinking of asking the council to buy it.
If that happens its a total joke.
Awful situation. Council helps to devalue your property and then they get to buy it with no other bidders, because no other bidders will touch it in the state they have it in.

She is talking about selling the place now. But cant because noone would buy it.
She is thinking of asking the council to buy it.
If that happens its a total joke.
Awful situation. Council helps to devalue your property and then they get to buy it with no other bidders, because no other bidders will touch it in the state they have it in.

Perhaps things are on the turn with regard to the Councils and their control over these situations:

The tenants may not even be tenants of the particular Council, they may be tenants of one of the Approved Housing Bodies (AHB's) - Tuath, Cluid, Circle etc. Ideally clarify who the tenant has their tenancy with.
In any case, in the LTL contract between the property owner and the Council, there are possibly a number of clauses such as at 5.10 (nuisance, danger annoyance etc.) and maybe 5.16 that could be invoked by the property owner in this case and subsequently there are termination clauses.
Best of luck.

Back