Another lost cheque thread

Tyler Durden

Slightly different to the express lodgments thread below....
Can anyone help me with this problem with the bank (BOI)

I lodged a cheque which was a refund from the passport office two weeks ago which did not clear....
I rang the bank to report this quoting my lodgment receipt number and they chased it internally and came back this afternoon saying that the cheque never reached the clearing office....
They've obviously lost the cheque some how and asked me to chase it up with the passport office.....
Apart from the whole fiasco of losing my cheque I don't want to go back to dealing with the passport office as it took me 5 months to get the refund

Do I have any rights ?

Just to clarify, you express lodged this cheque right ? So the receipt you have is only the receipt given out by the machine.

So you have a valid stamped receipt - the its the banks problem not yours. You have a receipt stating your account should be credited by x amount. They didn't do it. They are liable. Go into the manager and show the receipt and tell them to credit your account - dont let them take it off you.

What recourse do you actaully have here? If the bank deny all, where can you go?

they cant deny all in this case as they stamped the receipt.

BOI lost a cheque on me for 5k, it took me 10 months to collect it from the (now ex) client. I told the manager that i have the stamped receipt and I expected my account to credited that evening. It was...

Tell them that it's now their problem to get the cheque reissued. The banks have a habit of making their cock-up into your headache. Insist that they credit your account as of the date that you lodged the cheque, otherwise you could be waiting until they get a replacement issued.

Back