Anniversary mass. Pay the priest?

Just came across this thread now. It is coincidental as I spent about an hour the other day at work listening to someone complaining about having to make a donation to her parish church for her forthcoming wedding. This individual never goes to Mass and contributes absolutely nothing through the collections or the Easter Dues towards the upkeep of the Church. Yet when she fancies a nice picturesque (its a beautiful old church) venue for her wedding ceremony she begrudges contributing a few euro. The same girl is spending an absolute fortune on her wedding, including hundreds of euro to get the chairs in the hotel decked out in white material.

Yes liaconn thats happening all the time. The Church has to be right for the big day. Wonder how the Priests keep putting up with this all the time.

Had an anniversary mass said recently in Phibsboro. I asked the lady when booking what the norm was and she told me €7, which I added a bit to.

Roger

We get a mass said in the house each year for brother and mother and usually give the priest E50 as he has to drive especially here and its usually a weekend to facilitate travelling relations.

Hi, leaving all this aside, do you not think that in this day and age there would be a different system for dealing with the financial aspect of having a mass said? If the priest has to be paid then it should be done in a proper fashion and not just putting your hand in your pocket which must be embarrassing for everyone concerned.

I think it's high time these things were put on a proper financial footing where there is no misunderstanding as to what happens to the money. I lived outside this country for a long time and find the business of Mass cards here just ridiculous. They can be bought over the newsagents counter already signed so the shop is making money even before the priest gets his share. It's just a racket nothing more nothing less.

I had a mass said recently in the Pro Cathedral in Dublin, I booked it a month or two beforehand and paid fee (offering!) of €10, very efficient and business like. Name was read out during regular mass, not a special mass.

Our family unfortunately are involved with the anniversary mass's too. I always thought it was a donation to the church and not a matter of payment. Whatever you can afford......

I think I prefer the more business like approach of the bigger Dublin churches, at least you know what's expected. This business of putting an amount in an envelope is difficult to deal with.

Back