An Post postage price increase.

DirectDevil

So, postage stamps are increasing again in price.

What always amuses me is the usual associated declaration that our stamp prices compare favorably with European postage prices.
I live in Dublin. When I send a letter to Naas I don't go to Berlin to post it so what relevance is the European average to us ?

What's going on with An Post that they need a 10% increase after the last 38% increase? Is it possible the last 38% didn't bring in the revenue because people stopped posting?

I don't need a next day post service for most letters, I just want it there within 5 working days. How about a second class postage stamp?

Well going by the amount of Christmas cards received this year, I think An Post have killed the personal postage market. I certainly wouldn't post anything unless required.

Of course it could be that people just didn't send me any cards.....

Or because you are on energy saving mode after a long year trying to get a Man/Woman to understand something when there salary depends upon them not understanding you,:)

Or because you are on energy saving mode after a long year trying to get a Man/Woman to understand something when there salary depends upon them not understanding you,:)
That applies to the PS apologists writ large

What always amuses me is the usual associated declaration that our stamp prices compare favorably with European postage prices.

It's not that long ago An Post were threatening banks with legal action for posting mail to their Irish customers from abroad, as it was cheaper to post a letter from continental Europe to Dublin than it was from Dublin...

It's not that long ago An Post were threatening banks with legal action for posting mail to their Irish customers from abroad, as it was cheaper to post a letter from continental Europe to Dublin than it was from Dublin...
Wow, I didn't know that. That's gas...

I think that was fake news.

Banks use bulk mailing which is about 65c a letter. They are printed and sent out by third party companies (big on based in Naas) and delivered in a 5 day time frame.

At €1.10, an post become one of the more expensive service providers. Germany is 95c

I think that was fake news.

No, their guaranteed monopoly for all postal services within the state was enshrined in legislation. They actively protected that, and even attempted to intervene in a case before the ECJ involving a decision to restrict Deutsche Post's monopoly in the German postal market. The European Express Organisation have been lobbying at the EU level for decades at this point to allow their member companies greater access to Europe's postal market, the European Postal Directive set the scene for the phased opening up of the market we've seen over the last decade.

No, their guaranteed monopoly for all postal services within the state was enshrined in legislation. They actively protected that, and even attempted to intervene in a case before the ECJ involving a decision to restrict Deutsche Post's monopoly in the German postal market. The European Express Organisation have been lobbying at the EU level for decades at this point to allow their member companies greater access to Europe's postal market, the European Postal Directive set the scene for the phased opening up of the market we've seen over the last decade.

I'm somewhat sympathetic to An Post.

There are good social reasons for maintaining universal delivery to all addresses on a daily basis. Market operators would cherrypick urban areas and rural wouldn't be serviced.

I'd like if the subsidy was a bit more transparent and competitively tendered for, but there needs to be one.

I'm somewhat sympathetic to An Post.

There are good social reasons for maintaining universal delivery to all addresses on a daily basis. Market operators would cherrypick urban areas and rural wouldn't be serviced.

I'd like if the subsidy was a bit more transparent and competitively tendered for, but there needs to be one.

The world always changes. An Post has to change with the times. If they are forces by local political interests to keep loss making outlets open as a form of social infrastructure then that should be paid for by the State, not their customers.
People in parts of rural Ireland need to realise that if they want a big house with a big garden for the same price as a one bed apartment in Dublin, Cork or Galway then they can't expect the same access to services as people in urban centres.

Back