An Post post going missing: what to do?

blueshoes

Hi all, not sure where to be posting this, please move if in wrong place.

I was waiting on a cheque in the post since friday (for quite a large amount) I didnt recieve it yesterday, or today.

So i rang the person in question and they said it was posted friday and i said well i didnt recieve it etc. Then he asked me address again and turns out he sent it to the house next door to me.

So yeah simple go round and get the cheque (but the house isnt occupied-new build)

He cancelled the cheque and is sending another to proper address.

What should I do about the post next door? Owner wont know what no. i live at? should i pop a note through the door? Would appreciate it back as there was also private information in it aswell.

And one more thing just to get of my chest, would the postman not have though ah shir Mrs xyz doesnt like at no 12. i better pop it in 13??

My post is always goin missing, and in fairness its always been in one of my neighbours houses. Im not saying anything bad about the postman ( i know this wasnt his fault), just saying. Thanks & sorry for the rant!

:rolleyes:

Re: Post gone missing

Stick a note in the door, explain situation, if a decnt landlord they will pop it round to you.

Re: Post gone missing

Postmen are legally obliged to deliver to the address on the letter / package / parcel even when they know it's wrong. Irritating, but true - it's so that if post is withheld or given to the wrong person, they can't give a defence of "But I thought they didn't live there..." if deliberate theft / diversion is taking place.

Of course, in practice, if you know your postman and he knows you, they'll take a common sense approach - but it takes time to build that up, and some will still be sticklers for the letter of the law (as they are entitled to be, and for their own protection). And after all, it's perfectly possible that there's a Pat Duffy (or Mrs xyx) in number 12 and another Pat Duffy (or Mrs xyx) about to move into number 13.

could also be a yarn about the wrong address. wouldnt be the first time a large cheque was 'posted' to the wrong address but they would send out a replacement one to the proper address immediately. and just tell you they stopped they original one. your post shouldn't always be going missing though. if its addressed properly it should be delivered and if not is the postmans fault.

We have the problem of post addressed to our new address, in which we have been living since July being delivered to our old address.
Have asked the Post Office to sort it out but it still happens.
We have sold the house, just waiting to close so still have access to the property at the moment but won't soon.

An post want us to fill in a re-direction form which has a fee attached to it but I do not see why we should have to pay to have them deliver the post to the correct address.

No problem with post addressed to old address going there but why the hell are they insisisting on delivering post clearly adressed to new adress which is about 6 miles away and covered by a different post man, to the old address.

Back