An Post office - crazy rule!

deanpark

Yesterday I was in local post office in SoCo Dublin paying for a 9 euro stamp for a parcel. That was ok. So while I was there I asked the cashier to buy ten 10c stamps (for using to make up the value of older stamps that have the out of date prices on them)

Her superior butted in and said I can't be sold these. I asked why- he said because you cannot buy stamps (i.e not allowed to) for less than the value of a regular stamp (€1.25) I said grand give me thirteen 10c stamps so. No he said - you have to bring the envelope in and prove you are buying stamps for the shortfall.

God almighty - who would give An Post their savings or trust them with anything of real value. What a bizarre exchange.

Is what I was told true or did I have the misfortune to meet a Basil Fawlty character trapped in the body of an An post supervisor.

Try to buy them online.

See this.

I didn't go though to purchase, but it might work.
Yes it did just now. I bought twenty 10c stamps (€2) which will be hand delivered to my house for no additional fee. Ok I'm saying that now but I wouldn't be surprised if they never arrive at all.

I think the guy I was dealing with at the post office yesterday must be touched or has a dark sense of humour. Anyway it confirms my opinion that An Post is a mickey mouse organisation and I'll never buy any financial services etc off them....

Over the years, I've always bought stamps in those little dispenser boxes with rolls of 100 peel-off stamps. Any time the price went up I would buy enough stamps valued at the differential to use up the remainder of the box. Never had an issue. Never even occurred to me there might be an issue.

I hardly ever post anything. I haven't bought a stamp in 20 years.
On the rare occasion that I do need to post something, which is once every 2-3 years, I post it in work.

Over the years, I've always bought stamps in those little dispenser boxes with rolls of 100 peel-off stamps. Any time the price went up I would buy enough stamps valued at the differential to use up the remainder of the box. Never had an issue. Never even occurred to me there might be an issue.
Ask for the 'N' national stamps instead, when the price goes up these will be valid at the increased amount.

Ask for the 'N' national stamps instead, when the price goes up these will be valid at the increased amount.
Yeah, I was actually given those the last time I bought a box. Amazing really how quickly stamps have gone out of fashion. I think I have about a decades supply on hands! Very little business use now, and no personal use apart from Christmas.

Yeah, I was actually given those the last time I bought a box. Amazing really how quickly stamps have gone out of fashion. I think I have about a decades supply on hands! Very little business use now, and no personal use apart from Christmas.
With the big price increases lately so many companies switched to digital correspondence and then for personal stuff you have email \ attachments.

Even at Christmas, I see people delivering cards by hand in local areas who would have posted before.

Sad to say but the customer service skills of some of the people in post offices leaves a lot to be desired, I know in my own town the majority of them are an incredible cranky group

Yesterday I was in local post office in SoCo Dublin paying for a 9 euro stamp for a parcel. That was ok. So while I was there I asked the cashier to buy ten 10c stamps (for using to make up the value of older stamps that have the out of date prices on them)

Her superior butted in and said I can't be sold these. I asked why- he said because you cannot buy stamps (i.e not allowed to) for less than the value of a regular stamp (€1.25) I said grand give me thirteen 10c stamps so. No he said - you have to bring the envelope in and prove you are buying stamps for the shortfall.

God almighty - who would give An Post their savings or trust them with anything of real value. What a bizarre exchange.

Is what I was told true or did I have the misfortune to meet a Basil Fawlty character trapped in the body of an An post supervisor.

I suspect that the individuals you were dealing with were high or mad or both. We regularly buy random amounts of 10c stamps from our local Post Office to make up the postage on something bigger or heavier than an N stamp (or multiple N stamps) will carry. The number of stamps purchased is often determined by the amount of cash one of us happens to have about their person at the time. Never had any issue.

Sad to say but the customer service skills of some of the people in post offices leaves a lot to be desired, I know in my own town the majority of them are an incredible cranky group
Big queue in local post office this afternoon, but the chap behind the desk worked liken a trojan blitzing through it.

The thing is there should have been 2 people working... it's a post office inside a busy Dublin suburban supermarket.

There's no such rule.

I suspect it is a local postmaster with his own local rule.

There's no such rule.

I suspect it is a local postmaster with his own local rule.
Yes I reckon so. A right jobsworth.

These cramped post offices shoehorned in to a newsagent are grim. I see the ads all the time with An Post punting their financial services wares and I have a giggle. No thanks lads!!

Back