An Post & GDPR Issues

Acorn22

Hi,

I received a letter from my doctor today. I contained some personal information. The letter was passed in by a neighbour but I didn't see who it was. I found my letter opened and the contents was spread all over the floor in my hallway.

From looking at the envelope you could see that the surgery secured the letter well but it was opened by someone. Either someone in An Post or the neighbour. I am fuming. I have written in a complaint to An Post. A similar situation arose about a year ago when I had certification of my wages and similarly - it had been opened although it didn't look like as if it had been secured properly from my place of work so I raised that issue and they send things like that now by registered post.

Regardless, when the address is correct why are An post so stupid that they can't get the right address? Instead they fill my letterbox full of advertisement on a daily basis and never seem to miss that.

I'm shaking with frustration.

My postman won't push the letters in so that they fall on the floor. I spoke to him because they can be seen from the street and could easily be removed from the letterbox. It lasted about a week. Absolutely disgraceful.

I'm not sure. I have no CCTV. I feel violated.
Make a complaint the the DPC citing a GDPR breach involving sensitive (health in this case) data. No idea what they'll say by the way, but it would be interesting to find out and report back. Health data sent by letter ending up in the wrong hands is a problem. I know of two cases (not in Ireland) in hospitals where I've worked, one of which ended up with a patient's wife finding out that he had had a vasectomy and the other with the patient being murdered.

I know of two cases (not in Ireland) in hospitals where I've worked, one of which ended up with a patient's wife finding out that he had had a vasectomy and the other with the patient being murdered.
There's a book in that.

Back