An Post current account

keepon

After some pretty flaky performance from N26, bouncing two large transactions for no particular reason, I'm looking at other options for a reliable general purpose current account.

The An Post option looks decent, especially given the money back feature. Are there any opinions or experiences out there that people would like to share?

The An Post current account has received a lot of negative feedback here and on Boards.ie.

The fees are, relatively speaking, quite high, there are plenty of other free options out there.

Anyone got recent feedback on the an post current account?
I've just set up a joint account, for use for the "house" account e.g. mortgage, insurance, food shopping etc.

I'm now wondering is that a wise decision!

Anyone got recent feedback on the an post current account?
I've just set up a joint account, for use for the "house" account e.g. mortgage, insurance, food shopping etc.

I'm now wondering is that a wise decision!
Hi, I opened an account with absolutely NO issues whatsoever, admittedly there was some issues reported early on when the bank started operating but honestly, not a negative issue to report, they've also updated their app recently.

I primarily opened it because I had to look at options with KBC closing , I also opened an N26 basic account which I use for online transactions. An Post account is €5 per month but that's comparable with other banks unless your lodging a certain amount per month etc. Another advantage is being able to lodge Cash , Cheques at any post office, so over all very happy yo recommend.

Hi, I opened an account with absolutely NO issues whatsoever, admittedly there was some issues reported early on when the bank started operating but honestly, not a negative issue to report, they've also updated their app recently.

I primarily opened it because I had to look at options with KBC closing , I also opened an N26 basic account which I use for online transactions. An Post account is €5 per month but that's comparable with other banks unless your lodging a certain amount per month etc. Another advantage is being able to lodge Cash , Cheques at any post office, so over all very happy yo recommend.
Thanks for the reply, much appreciated !

We have UB accounts and seriously considering a Anpost account as it is the closest and open longer hours/Saturdays. It almost seems to good to be true?

Seeing as the remaining bank apps aren't great, Is there anything seriously lacking in the anpost offering? Anything that the bank's offer?

We have UB accounts and seriously considering a Anpost account as it is the closest and open longer hours/Saturdays. It almost seems to good to be true?

Seeing as the remaining bank apps aren't great, Is there anything seriously lacking in the anpost offering? Anything that the bank's offer?
There is a limit on what you can withdraw per day. €3000 from the branch and €600 per day per atm. You need id to withdraw more than €1000. If you need more then double check. Also they still work Monday to Friday in regards to transactions into other accounts etc.

Honestly I can't fault them, one issue people have raised is transferring DD , standing orders , they don't I believe when switching, I just did this myself gradually and still maintain KBC until the bitter end . There are withdrawal limits but pretty must the same with other banks .

The new updated app is pretty good also .

as an aside, interesting to see that An Post have gone out to tender for a new current account platform.

There is something that a lot of people don't understand about the an post current account, apart from loging/withdrawing cash/cheques, post office counter staff have absolutely nothing to do with the account, it's a UK based white label product. if something goes wrong like missing money etc, you can only talk to the UK based call center for help.

There is something that a lot of people don't understand about the an post current account, apart from loging/withdrawing cash/cheques, post office counter staff have absolutely nothing to do with the account, it's a UK based white label product. if something goes wrong like missing money etc, you can only talk to the UK based call center for help.
And are they any good at resolving issues?. I'm an Ulster customer contemplating my options at the minute

Overall, my various experiences with UK call center staff, have not been good (across numerous organisations, and many years), so that's a deterrent for me, if I'm being honest.

Can someone please tell me what the typical time is for transfers, both to and from other banks ? Is it the same day, next day etc. (for say a relatively modest transfer, perhaps €50 to €500, for example) ? Thanks.

Last edited:
Overall, my various experiences with UK call center staff, have not been good (across numerous organisations, and many years), so that's a deterrent for me, if I'm being honest.

Can someone please tell me what the typical time is for transfers, both to and from other banks ? Is it the same day, next day etc. (for say a relatively modest transfer, perhaps €50 to €500, for example) ? Thanks.
I transfer once a week from KBC to my an post account, I do it early, before 9am, hits my an post account around 5pm same day. I believe there's a few time slots per day that all banks work off so it would depend what time of day you pick to transfer. It makes no difference the amount but of course some banks have a daily limit for electronic transfers.

In my experience not really. a lot of people have been having problems recently with wages/social welfare not turning up in the account on schedule. Check out the reviews below on trustpilot https://ie.trustpilot.com/review/www.smartaccount.ie
Alot of UB, BOI Customers have also had numerous problems with payments going into their bank accounts, UB particularly bad, every bank sufferers IT glitches to be fair.

To be fair, there's no bank in Ireland can claim to have perfect customer service and indeed a recent report suggested getting through to irish based customer. Service is near impossible.

Also important to mention that An Post Bank is fully regulated by the Central Bank.

Back