Amsterdam any advice?

R

rgdrfgdf

Im heading to Amsterdam for the three days after Paddys Day
Ive never been before, what do you guys recommend I see?
Are the all sights within walking distance in the city centre?
Is it pricey?
Anything out of town you recommend?
How far is the airport from the city centre?
And finally the weather this time of the year?

dam

Everything is within walking/tram distance.
Airport is fairly far out but you wouldn't know it because you just collect your baggage and go downstairs and get a train straight to centraal station, which is central. Because we arrived late at night, we got ripped off by a taxi driver to get to our hotel when we could have got a tram there.
What to see is generally up to yourself. There were plenty of "shows" on down the RLD which I wasn't interested in but a walk down there is a must, as is a canal boat tour. Anne Franks house is said to be interesting but my other half couldn't be bothered joining the long queue to get in there.
Van Gogh's museum is quite interesting, we bought quite a few prints of his paintings.
Weather is not much different to here
It is pricey enough, but so is Dublin or Cork, it was having to pay to use the toilet in the pub that annoyed me!

Re: dam

Like Sinead76 says - a lot depends on your interests.

I visited the Anne Frank house later in the evening - when there were no queues.

Two other things I did which I enjoyed, but not everyone would :

(1) Cycling Tour (on yellow bikes)
(2) Architectural Tour of typical Dutch houses (included lunch in one of them).

Try some Indonesionan food when you're there - a leftover from the Dutch colonial days.

Getting from the airport is a doddle on the (double decker!) trains that run straight to the centre on a regular basis (and all night if I'm not mistaken). Once in the city it's a doddle to get around on foot, bike, tram, bus, metro (?) and there's loads to see. If you're there for a while maybe consieder taking a train to another nearby (is there any other type in the Netherlands!? :) ) town/city.

As euroDilbert said, try out the Indonesian restaurants ( Kantijl & De Tiger is an excellent one) when you're there. As for sights, the canal boat trip is quite good, as are both the Van Gogh museum and Rijksmuseum (although this one is huge so don't do it immediately after the Van Gogh or you'll get fed up pretty quick!). Anne Franks house is good if you don't have to queue too long - to be honest the queues move pretty quickly tho. Apart from that I just like strolling along the canals and popping in to the odd quirky shop or little bar for a coffee/beer - not coffee shop tho as this is somewhat different!! ;)

A'dam

I think the Rijksmuseum is still closed for renovation.Check the other posts here,A'dam was talked about here many times before,our moderator did a good summarise about A'dam.You can get tickets for the public transport ,called "strippenkart", opposite the centraalstation and in many newspaper shops.They are also valid for normal trains,not the Intercitys.If you had too much of the busy town try the botanical garden "Hortus" behind Waterlooplein.They have a tropical greenhouse which is small but very nice.And a plant/seedshop where you get the most exotic seeds ,mandrake etc..At Easter Sunday they hide eggs and chocolate bunnys in the flowerbeds for the children.

Re: A'dam

Check the other posts here,A'dam was talked about here many times before,our moderator did a good summarise about A'dam.

See .

Back