American passport expired; Need Birth Certificate. Living in Ireland.

clare72

Hi there,

My daughter's (who's 10) passport has expired and is now due for renewal. The thing is, she is an american citizen, and i cannot find her american birth certificate anywhere, i think it might have been thrown out while moving house. Does anyone know how i'd go about getting her a new one?

Re: American Birth Certificate Problem!

Did you check with the American Embassy?

Hi there,

My daughter's (who's 10) passport has expired and is now due for renewal. The thing is, she is an american citizen, and i cannot find her american birth certificate anywhere, i think it might have been thrown out while moving house. Does anyone know how i'd go about getting her a new one?

So you want a replacement american passport for your daughter. Why are you asking an irish forum about that? Why dont you post on an american forum?

So you want a replacement american passport for your daughter. Why are you asking an irish forum about that? Why dont you post on an american forum?

Why not? Plenty of Irish people started their families in the US, many of them have returned, and more than one of them uses AAM regularly. The issue of how to obtain a US Birth Certificate from Ireland is more pertinent to an Irish forum than a US one.

Bear in mind you will need the US cert also to get an Irish passport if you ever choose to do that - it will be needed for the Resistration of Foreign Births as part of that process.

I think its by emigration centre federal plaza in ny. Try googling replacement us birth cert.

I have a son who was born in the US. I had the foresight to get 6 of the things before I left. They were given out by the registrar in the local courthouse - for a fee. If you know the county where the child was born you could contact the courthouse there. I don't know about a central registrar but I would guess registries, like most US admin, are done on a state by state basis.

My daughter was born in N.Y. I get birth certs for her from the New york dept of health.......pay by credit card and they post them on to you.

What Athens said. The department of health for the state in which your child was born will very likely be able to post you a duplicate you can purchase online.

Having said that, you can renew by post to the embassy in Dublin with an expired passport and no birth certificate - at least I can. BCs are normally required for a first passport application but not subsequent ones. No idea if the rules are different for children, but I can't imagine why they would be.

Mail a notarized letter to the town clerk where your child was born with required information. google the town you lived in, all the information will be available online, any questions just give them a call . example of a town website www.nyack.org

Back